TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wiper arm question
modelac Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:46 pm

I am ready to install the wiper arms on by Nostalgia buggy. I have '73 Beatle arms, but the blades hit the window frame. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

lostinbaja Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:59 pm

I drilled out the rivets that hold the the arm together, cut the arm to the proper length, then drill the arm and install pop rivets to hold it together.
Jerry...

Genom Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:02 pm

On my last buggy, I cut away the flat metal arm piece and replaced it with a custom bent/length section of 3/16" square steel stock brazed to either end.

kit.car Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:29 am

Since I had a used body and holes already drilled. I bought a couple of different years of pivot arms and pieced together the proper combination to get the throw I wanted. If you have a dash full of gages, be prepared for some issues with back spacing.

NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU ZIP-TIE ALL THE WIRES AWAY FROM THE MECHANICAL ASSY. It will cut wires like a knife...dont ask :roll:

jspbtown Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:14 am

Pep Boys has universal adjustable wiper arms that can be made to fit anything. I am also told that NAPA carries them but don't know this for certain.

GetPsycho Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:14 pm

Sorry, no advise on the wiper arms. I'm going threw the
same thing right now myself. I'll definately be watching
this thread.
Just wanted to say
8) Very Cool Buggy 8)

modelac Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:32 pm

Thank you for the complement and everyone else for the help. This arm looks as if it needs to be longer than stock, because the lower part of the blade strikes the frame. I am sure I can make something work.
Steve

MickeyUSA Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:44 pm

I think that Bruce said to use the arms off a bus to fit better, if someone has the instruction it should be in there.

domorr Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:25 pm

I used arms from the marine supply store. They are adjustable, stainless and work fine. The only draw back is that you have to use the matching blades. The blade arm is also stainless.

andk5591 Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:37 am

Have a single "longer" wiper on the drivers side (stock VW that has a longer arm) . Put a cap over the shaft on the passenger side. It's better than the dual wipers on most buggys that I have seen. Try it. Pretty easy.

jbbugs Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:47 pm

I've used Type 3 arms,and they were a perfect fit with 10" blades
Paul