TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bad Starter or something else?
Stringer142 Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:42 pm

This past weekend I cranked my dune buggy. And it cranked right up on the first time I have ever started it. I just had it rebuilt and everything was running great this past saturday. Well I just got my exhaust in two days ago, installed it and today I tried to crank it in order to hear how the new exhaust will sound.

I dont have it wired yet. But I would touch the two ends on the solenoid together just as I did saturday. But the starter would just make a grinding noise, as if it was having trouble starting. Also the starter is the old one that was previously on there but the starter solenoid is brand new. Could the starter be bad? I know I can remove it and take it to OReillys to have them test it but is there something else that I can try first?

Thanks

Jimmler Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:04 pm

If it's an auto-stick(automatic stickshift) starter, you can remove it and try the spin test again. It should whizz right along. You can't do this on the non-auto-stick starters. The end of the shaft has to be supported by the bellhousing or the armature will drag on the poles. That makes me wonder if O'Reilly's can even test it. If it's a 12v system and the starter is bad, go for the auto-stick replacement. Good luck!

madmike Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:13 am

make sure the battery is fully charged, i did the same on my buggy runnig without a charging system drains it quick,Madmike

Stringer142 Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:30 pm

I took the starter off and took it apart and cleaned it and lubricated it. I reinstalled it and its working perfectly now.