TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Seat Tracks/rails Help
63ziggy Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:25 pm

I placed a Want-Ad but thought I would drop an email here. I replaced the pans on my 74 Thing project. The original seat tracks were too badly rusted to be salvaged.

I am looking to see if anyone may have a set I can purchase. I have seen the set on a vendors site. quite pricey. Pushes me to going with aftermarket for the price.

Anyone have a set from an old pan?

Thanks

Tony

emersonbiggins Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:28 pm

yes,
I think I have a couple, I'll have to get pictures, they do have rust where they mount and it may be more then you want on new pans.

uberautowerks Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:29 pm

How much is "Pricy"? Wolfsburg West has new for $39.95 each.

63ziggy Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:39 pm

I will look into Wolfsburg West. I have bought patch panels for my 63 beetle before and was pleased. I did not think of them for Thing parts. I looked at 72 beetle rails. They do not mount the same on the pan as Things.

63ziggy Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:42 pm

If you have a parts number from WW, let me know please. I did not see any Thing related.

Thanks

kubelmann Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:52 pm

Are you stuck on stock seats? There are countless better seat that will work without even using the seat rails. There is the aftermarket sea mount tha adjusts front to rear and reclines. I have seen Fox seats asn also Subaru seats that are awesome and look great. I have suspension seat in my off-road Thing and Custom stock seas in my road car Thing. The suspension seats (MasterCraft) beat the pants off of any VW seat for safety, comfort and style. Unless it is a pure stock resto and in that case the we all know that there is only one choice.... K-mann

uberautowerks Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:51 am

Yo are correct. 72 bug rails are not an exact match, if your looking for restoration then it's gonna have to be used. However with some welding and tweeking the 72 bug rails will mount and work.