TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Buying / checking out a Thing
TeamSpatula Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:48 pm

Howdy - as there's no Thing-buyers sticky, and the search didn't turn up too much, I wanted to ask a few "things"
:)
I've been owning, fixing, building, etc VWs for over 15 years, but despite always wanting one, I never had a Thing. However, there may be one that a friend of mine is ready to get rid of, and I want to check it out. I know that there are a lot of Thing-specific parts. What should I check that would be expensive or hard to find to replace?
Also, other than floorpans and other typical areas, where should I look for rust? Any hidden seams or joints that typically rust out and are a pain to fix?
I just want to make sure I do a thorough check on this one before buying it. I've learned the things to look for in Busses and Beetles, but this is a new one. I appreciate any tips, pointers, advice, etc.
Thanks.

npconnor Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:12 pm

Since all older "Vee' dubs" are pretty much all the same, and if you have been tinkering for the past 15 sum-odd years with "Vee' dubs" then I wouldn't worry about hidden problems.

However, don't take my word for it... I only got my Thing a few years ago and can only tinker with it on weekends for short amounts of time. Listen to the other guys, it's like talking to a walking "Vee' dub" manual. Trust me, these guys are amazing.

Ian Epperson Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:57 pm

I've seen a lot of rusty windshield frames, and these are expensive, rare parts to replace. Be very suspect if the windshield sags or wiggles - see if any rust is wiggling out the side. If there is a bulge in the lower frame, it's likely shot. Fold down the windshield and try and slide back the lower seal (on the frame) and look for rust.

Check the top frame to ensure it isn't bent. Check the top header bow for rust (moisture can get into the hollow bit and eat it from the inside).

Body parts are getting tough to find - especially the right front fender. If it's got damage keep in mind that this isn't a bug - body panels can be quite a bit more expensive if you can find them.

The pan is the same as a Ghia, but a heavier guage. If you've got to replace the pan, know that new metal can be bought inexpensively.

The front suspension has several Thing-specific bits to it - the trailing arms, spindles, leaf springs and beam are all getting hard to find. You can replace many of these parts with bug/Ghia parts, but you'll have the effect of lowering and weakening the front end.

If it's a '73, try to make sure all the parts for the BN4 heater are accounted for. Bonus if it's actually functioning, but don't worry if it doesn't - these are hardy and finicky heaters. If they don't run for a month or two, they'll stop functioning until you perform some simple maintenance on them. The stock thermostat sucks and the adjuster will often be stuck.

bciesq Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:23 am

I would add the windshield wiper motor to the list of expensive Thing-only parts that are often broken.

And if it is a '73, it would be a bonus if it had the original fan shroud -- newer shrouds will work, but the '73 shroud is a sought after item and can often go for $250 used.

TeamSpatula Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:13 am

It is a 73, and I'm hoping to check it out today, as soon as I hear back from the owner. I'll pay special attention to the windshield area & wipers, and check for other stuff as well...I figured body panels would be a little more spendy.
Thanks,

kubelmann Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:21 pm

Do not forget to check the rear rockers for rust as well as on the front inside of the fender wells. This is work to replace/repair. Open the hood to check for nose damage of any kind. The nose is pricey to fix. Check for beam damage it is a Thing only part that is pricey to fix. The front seats and engine lid are pricey. Windows and tops are pricey. Any of these that are good ar a big plus. Any Thing that runs is worth at least $3K

TeamSpatula Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:50 am

Some rust through just starting to peek out on both sides rear rockers...how bad is that?
Other than that, and missing a few little bits (latches, etc) it seems to be a good deal...we're currently in the "discussing price" phase...

sam_w Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:56 pm

it is good to see you in the thing stuff.
I have bought T-shirts from you over the last 15 years, when Type2.com, was lenti@*****.

Welcome to the thing world.

Sam_w
used to be a 70 Westy, but now a 73 thing

TeamSpatula Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:14 am

Wow, almost a year to the day here since I first checked this one out and posted this, and now it's come back around - it belongs to a friend of mine who has owned it for probably 12-13 years, and it was her daily driver for many of those. I've actually worked on it a few times years ago...
So obviously it didn't work out last year, but now she's wanting to buy a house, needs money, has a "real" car to haul her 2 kids around, etc...so the price is a little more flexible...
of course the problem now is that I've since moved about 200 miles away, so this is currently being worked out on the internet...but we'll see - it seems to be coming together, just in time for warm weather driving!
Anyway, here are a few pics, including the worst of the rust -

GodJockey Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:42 am

That thing doesn't look too bad, from the pics at least. I see the front and the fender are both dented in but looks fixable. Does it run?

That rust stop under the rear seat is very common and mine has it too... until i get my welder fixed.

What is she asking for it?

TeamSpatula Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:49 pm

the engine and transmission are both rebuilt with less than 5000 miles on them.
that definitely helps make up for the dents & dings. That rust under the battery is the worst that I saw.
Price is currently under final negotiations.
8)

crofty Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:01 pm

TeamSpatula wrote: the engine and transmission are both rebuilt with less than 5000 miles on them.
that definitely helps make up for the dents & dings. That rust under the battery is the worst that I saw.
Price is currently under final negotiations.
8)

Good luck. I too became a Thing owner back in September after going to NJ for the trail bash and driving a friends thing on the trails. I was hooked instantly hooked and found a nice local one I picked up.

My only complaint is the engine removal is nowhere near as easy as it is in a bus and the rear taillights make me cringe!

Van-go108 Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:15 pm

crofty wrote: My only complaint is the engine removal is nowhere near as easy as it is in a bus and the rear taillights make me cringe!
Why do the taillights wig you out? I am going to put custom ones in mine however. I'd prefer the early location like on the 69's myself. I was just curious.
We paid $5000 for ours. I had to work a few issues out. All I need to do is replace all the signal lenses now. All but one rear taillight lens is new. The rest are all cracked lookin'. I probably just sell that one.

crofty Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:14 pm

Van-go108 wrote: crofty wrote: My only complaint is the engine removal is nowhere near as easy as it is in a bus and the rear taillights make me cringe!
Why do the taillights wig you out? I am going to put custom ones in mine however. I'd prefer the early location like on the 69's myself. I was just curious.
We paid $5000 for ours. I had to work a few issues out. All I need to do is replace all the signal lenses now. All but one rear taillight lens is new. The rest are all cracked lookin'. I probably just sell that one.

Because they scream fatchick bug! I'd rather run the bus lights but I'm not cutting into this one.