TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wiring harness
harleyrea Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:34 pm

what is the best way to wire a manx style buggy. From scratch or is there a after market harness. Any help would be great I'm starting off with nothing. Thanks

modelac Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:47 pm

I built my project with one of those "dune buggy" harnesses and ended up redoing the whole thing. I would either get a wire station from Harbor Freight or purchase a 1966 Beetle harness and go from there.

Dudbust Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:54 pm

I built my project with a Dune Buggy Harness and it worked out good..easy to understand schematic..

harleyrea Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:02 pm

has anyone ever used tha so called Empi dune buggy harness from JC Whitney. For 50 bucks could it really be worth much?

Elwood Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:49 pm

What I am wondering is will the work on a full length Buggy. Hell I could even wire my bug with one as well. All I need is lights and ignition.

Even considered wiring the lights to run when ever the ignition is one period. That way I would never need to switch them on or off. Headlights being on will help in added visibility on the street.

Oil_Eater Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:10 pm

harleyrea wrote: has anyone ever used tha so called Empi dune buggy harness from JC Whitney. For 50 bucks could it really be worth much? I got one from Bugpack. I would imagine Empi and Bugpack get theirs from the same manufacturer. :lol:

The one from Bugpack has japanese writing (symbols) all over the wires! Talk about wierd! :roll:

I can see why it is only $50.00

You get wires and a fuse block with 6V fuses along with stake-on terminals for junctions.

I used the kit as a starting point when I wired mine only because I did a 12V conversion at the same time.

Jay

aquamanx Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:44 am

This is what I used on both of my buggy's, as stated above its a good starting point with a simple diagram. I used better quality connectors and soldered most of the connections.
http://www.mooreparts.com/AC971000.html

MURZI Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:10 am

Build your aown using the Empi deal. I did one circuit at a time in the kitchen. Tie the wires to a chair back and pull 16 feet, next circuit do the same, and so on. two hours tops.

all here:
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/MURZI/wiring%20stuff/

dirtbugger Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:13 pm

I agree with aquamanx, if you're going to use a kit like that, junk that black fuse box asap. I struggled for 5 years with one before I got smart and replaced it with an 8 fuse blade type holder, they only cost a few bucks.

Those open continental type fuses on the originals are garbage, they oxidize really fast.

lostinbaja Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:59 pm

You can buy all your supplys from www.waytekwire.com and wire it yourself with top quality components. The terminals you get with the Bugpack "dune buggy wiring harness" has junk terminals and less then desirable wire. Make sure you use good quality terminals and good quality crimpers, something like these:

Not junk like these:

Jerry...

sturgeongeneral Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:13 am

I am finishing up a frame up resto on a fibertech manx. I was given a wiring harness kit and found it was a lot easier just running my own wire than to try and match stuff up. I was also converting up from 6v to 12v so all new switches, guages, lights, and conversion to a 12v alternator. Heck, I even swapped a 12v wiper motor for the 6v and kept the wider 6v frame. Now I have two speed wipers. Add to that the 2375 motor and I can't stop grinning. Anyway, just do one circuit at a time and it is easy as pie!