TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mounting a Swamp Cooler to a Splitty.
Spanish Flea Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:28 am

I have been dreaming of doing this for 10 years. But have never come to a solid way of mounting it.

This pix above is this for real, or just a mock picture?

I must know how it was done, are there any more detailed pix of how this was mounted and what was done to achive this.

Thanks,
Spanish Flea

vw7266 Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:36 am

i saw a DC at a show with a swamp cooler... he had a piece of solid glass instead of having a slider and it had a notch cut in the top o fthe glass for the swamp cooler to fit into...

langsmer Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:51 am

vw7266 wrote: i saw a DC at a show with a swamp cooler... he had a piece of solid glass instead of having a slider and it had a notch cut in the top o fthe glass for the swamp cooler to fit into...

I think that that is what the bus in the picture has. The line in the window is not the split in the slider, but the reflection of the cooler support.

65Busstop Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:48 am

Your location says South Florida. I do not think swamp coolers work very well in humid climates. You need low humidity for them to work well.

OG Velvet Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:00 am

What do you do when it rains?

vw7266 Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:21 am

65Busstop wrote: Your location says South Florida. I do not think swamp coolers work very well in humid climates. You need low humidity for them to work well.

this is true dont expect to get much cooler from it...you have safari's thats all ya need..unless you are going for "style" points

Spanish Flea Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:13 pm

vw7266 wrote: 65Busstop wrote: Your location says South Florida. I do not think swamp coolers work very well in humid climates. You need low humidity for them to work well.

this is true dont expect to get much cooler from it...you have safari's thats all ya need..unless you are going for "style" points

Bingo.. :wink:

Spanish Flea

KOMBI NIKO Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:23 pm

ok so hows this done then??
anyone knows who bus this is????

EDragnDean Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:15 am

KOMBI NIKO wrote: ok so hows this done then??

Window is open. Wouldn't work.

64 ragtop volks Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:39 am

took out the glass and used plex and just notched out the area for the cooler duct...one of my favorite hacks.just put some ice in to help get cooler air blowing thru

KOMBI NIKO Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:21 pm

EDragnDean wrote: KOMBI NIKO wrote: ok so hows this done then??

Window is open. Wouldn't work.

ok so the window has to be closed and sealed up right?

williamM Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:17 pm

You need a pressure difference for the evaporative cooler to work its best. SO- that means separating the high pressure (the air flowing past the bus) from the air inside. As the high pressure picks up water and is released inside it expands and the water evaporates. Both events cause cooling.