TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Blown fuse when starting
bciesq Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:13 pm

First of all, I'm an electrical moron, so please bear with me.

Earlier today I was replacing the exhaust on the '73 Thing and when I fired up the car afterwards, I got no response from turning the ignition -- no generator or oil light and not even a "click" from the starter. I checked the lights and they were dead as well.

When I looked at the fuse box, number 9 had blown. After I replaced it, the car started up, ran for a few seconds and then died with another blown number 9 fuse.

I checked the wiring diagram and number 9 is supposed to go with the map light and electrical outlet -- the funny thing is that even without the number 9 fuse in place, the map light works fine (in fact it's the only thing in the car that's working).

Bottom line: I assume that my wiring is something other than factory spec and I am in for some trial and error in trying to track down a short.

My question is: What are the likely culprits and where should I start my search?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

TimGud Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:28 pm

Check the positive cable at the starter. Check your battery posts as well.

Ian Epperson Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:20 am

bciesq wrote: What are the likely culprits and where should I start my search?

Usually, it's best to start with what you last touched. Perhaps you accidentally knocked something into the ignition lead and it's intermittantly shorting out. Perhaps there's a wire pinched in your tin somewhere and the exhaust change pushed on it enough to finally cut the wire insulation.

If nothing is odvious, you'll need to isolate which system is shorting. That's where the fun begins.

bciesq Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:58 am

Ian Epperson wrote: bciesq wrote: What are the likely culprits and where should I start my search?

Usually, it's best to start with what you last touched. Perhaps you accidentally knocked something into the ignition lead and it's intermittantly shorting out. Perhaps there's a wire pinched in your tin somewhere and the exhaust change pushed on it enough to finally cut the wire insulation.

If nothing is odvious, you'll need to isolate which system is shorting. That's where the fun begins.

Ding, ding, ding ... we have a winner.

The lead to the choke/idle shutoff solenoid was pulled off the left hand carb during the replacement of the breast plate.

Can't believe that I missed that.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.