TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: gas tank mod for my Invader GT
pudlo Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:26 am

I have a new gas tank that I need to change the location of the fill spout.
I think I can close off the org with a hose ,clamp and plug. What I am not sure is what method to use to add a new neck to it.
I thought of a muffler shop , so they can gas weld something on or braze.
Any thought?? :?:

clonebug Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:52 pm

Here are a couple pics of my setup. Had it welded by a metal fab shop.... no leaks. Wasn't cheap, but it is trouble free.

Clonebug

mach4 Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:42 pm

I just did mine this weekend. I'm not prepared to recommend this method since it is as yet untested, but here was the solution.

I picked up a filler neck at the junk yard. I cut the neck about an inch below the flange Cut the tank (filled with water) with a hole saw matching the OD of the neck.

I bent the flange to match the ribs in the tank.

Then used JB Weld to affix the filler to the tank.

Used one of the Pep Boys fuel doors to finish the hole in the hood. Here is the finished product

I'll be the first to admit that having the filler brazed in would be a better solution, but I think that this will work given the amount of bonding area provided by the flange. As usual, buyer beware and your mileage may vary.

Dudbust Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:18 pm

This is what I did..cut of filler neck from new tank patched hole with 26g steel positioned filler neck in new location drilled hole then welded it in placed did a leak test and all is good can still use original equipment sending unit..
[img]http://dudbust.tripod.com/dune_buggy/index.album/gas-tank?i=3[/img]

Diggler Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:45 pm

where did you get your fuel door clonebug?

clonebug Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:47 pm

Diggler

I got my fuel door from a truck accessory store.

It is an "Amp Research" fuel door. Not sure if it was for a Dodge or a Ford F150.

I think TGodber Also has the same door on his Buggy. If I don't have his name correct, he is the one up in Okanagon country.

I like mine because it has the finger hole in the edge and also it doesn't have to be pushed down first to open.

Clonebug

P.S.

It was not cheap. I paid around $140.00 and change.
It is also a very nice piece. Not cheaply built.

scarybuggy Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:39 am

Quote: Then used JB Weld to affix the filler to the tank.

How has that worked for you? I don't have a lot of experience with JB Weld, so it seems like that may be a bit of a sketchy way to secure the filler to the tank. Did you have to do any special prep work to the metal to get good adherence?