TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I gotta have a buggy! Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
eacook1 Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:58 pm

:D

The wife OK'ed a buggy, she thought they were cute. I started doing research and really getting interested in the manx style buggies, and now she pulled the plug.

I can't stop thinking about getting a buggy!

Maybe I will just go buy one anyway, Its better to ask for forgivness than for permission right?

I am going thru my mind trying to figure out how to pull this off.

Well I am at least going to continue my research then be ready for the moment she agrees again, then I will go right out and buy one, that same day/hour/minute!!!!

Yellermanx Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:06 pm

eacook1 wrote:
Its better to ask for forgivness than for permission right?

Words to live by. :lol:

andk5591 Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:01 pm

Couple suggestions that can help - what's her favorite color? Find one in the color and show it to her "just ran across this, nice color, huh?" LOL

It's easier if you get her on board before the fact. Problem that us guys have is that when we want something, we sometimes get a "little too enthused" and we blow it. Then you spend too much time on damage control. Don't ask me how I know. This isn't just about cars by the way :wink: ...... Anyway - shut up about it for a month or so, but do some looking in the meantime, then try a softer approach. You will be amazed at what you can accomplish :D

Jimmler Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:44 pm

See if you can find a friend that has one and take her for a ride in it. That should help clinch the deal.

Yellermanx Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:02 pm

Well I went the easier to get forgiveness route when I got mine. My standard M.O. Needless to say she wasn't real happy. However, she has learned in 25 years of marriage to expect things to follow me home. :D Little things, tractors, boats, jet skis, motorcycles, trailers, cars, trucks, buggies, airplane (OK that project didn't go too far) and anything else I just can't live without.

Anyway she loves it now. My wife really loves kids and a buggy is a kid magnet. Her face lights up every time we pass a kid and they point and get excited. They wave, she waves and everyone is happy.

I have had a lot of toys over the years and I can honestly say that I/we enjoy the buggy more than anything we have ever had. It's simple to use just jump in and take a ride after dinner or on the weekend. No prep needed before or special cleaning or other special considerations needed after. But I am always thinking of what I am going to do to it next which is fun also. It will never be done.

andk5591 Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Yeah - the waving and kids........Prob is that she has to ride in one to see that. Cindy just eats it up, since she drives it almost as much as I do. Always having cars beep, waving and thumbs up. And somebody said its like Tourette syndrome with kids - as soon as they see it they yell "Dune Buggy!!!!"

Good luck and just try to keep it cool and you will have better luck -

seabeebuggy Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:31 pm

I set the expectation before I got married.
I earn the money.
you can have what ever you want as long as it does not brake us.
I will buy what ever I want as long as it does not brake us.
and we always put 30% of our income away.

1 income, happy wife happy life.

I went the other way on the first wife where she worked and thought she was the S#!T, she was ,so i flushed her.

my friend has the same problem wife said no. (she does not work) but spends all the cash. No friggn way. it make me sick. talking about my experience's not you guys.

I say buy it if it does not hurt the budget....

manxcraig Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:57 pm

Grow some 'nads and just bring one home. I've had mine longer than either wife lasted.

aquamanx Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:09 pm

My wife is very cool when it comes to my toys so I really cant relate, but I can help ya speed up the divorce proceedings. :shock:
Here ya go just what you need http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=378584

Bugauf69 Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:10 pm

[-X How about a wife's perspective (also the buggy owner at our house) - tell her the 2nd buggy that you buy will be hers. Like the song says, "Girls just wanna have fun" :D

aquamanx Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:27 pm

Bugauf69 wrote: [-X How about a wife's perspective (also the buggy owner at our house) - tell her the 2nd buggy that you buy will be hers. Like the song says, "Girls just wanna have fun" :D

Yea that works also, we are a two buggy household, only now she wants a sand rail so one of them has to go. Need the room & the $ for the next build.

eacook1 Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:32 am

Welll the wife works too so it isn't "my money". Also she is the one who started this whole thing when she saw our neighbors chinese dune buggy and said why don't we get one of those? I said because its chinese. One thing led to another and a manx style buggy seems to fit (literally it has to fit in our trailer).

Anyway we talked more last night and I may be able to swing it afterall. She knows me all to well and says if we get a buggy I will spend all my free time, which isn't much, working on the dam thing. So I agreed to get some major projects done first. Thats fair, I been draging my feet on those projects anyway so this is a motivator.

Thanks for the input,

By the way I ordered 4 different buggy books online last night and am going to look at one today.

Let me know what you think.
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/7/4/87713974.htm

Oil_Eater Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:19 am

eacook1 wrote:

Let me know what you think.
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/7/4/87713974.htm

I think with that one, you won't need to work on it at all. The price seems fair to slightly high, but if you are looking to get something turnkey, where it won't suck the life out of you time wise, a buggy that is already together and running is the answer for you.

It sure looks purdy!

Jay

PURPLE HAZE Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:19 pm

check my gallery pics, i might be selling my buggy too.
i'm looking to get a 67 nova SS by june.

lawbreaker2 Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:56 pm

It also helps if she is into cars, mine fell in love with the buggy, so I got her one, then I just had to have one too. :lol:

eacook1 Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:24 pm

Well I looked at the buggy that I posted a link for a few posts above. It was linkpin front with swing axle rear and it wasn't as nice as I hoped. The paint was horrible, drips and runs everywhere, cheap seats and outdoor carpet. The motor looked nice and I didn't see any leaks. I didn't really see any rust in the pan. No wipers or running lights, good tires with nice clean rims. The rollbar appeared to be done very well but overall the car was so-so.

This buggy might still be ok for want but I am going to keep looking.

Anything you guys might suggest I look for? Any known trouble spots?

Thanks,
Evan

flaboyjim Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:36 am

My buy now - pay later plan with the wife worked.... for about a year. When the hurricane took the back of the house down, I was told that "since you have your buggy" . . . . . . need I say more.

2 years later: My buggy is still not complete, but the house is being painted today. I have spent very little in the scheme of things on the buggy, but the home remodeling took two legs and an arm.

At first, she was dead set against the buggy, but tolerated it because she loved me.... now I think that she is as enthused about the prospect of finishing the buggy as I am. Buggys and wives are very similar - you have to purchase it first and then re-build them from the ground up to get what you really want!

(Chuck/ Don - if you tell Janice I said that, I am DEAD. and a Manx would be for sale... :) )

scarybuggy Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:59 am

Purple Haze, how much are you going to be asking for your ride if you sell? Send me a PM...

greg mgm Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:08 am

Just to add to the "being sneaky" about buying something....Years ago my friend bought a '91 Suzuki DR 650 but kept it at my house, instead of bringing it home and having his wife discover his purchase. Yes, he had no "twins in a sack"..... They're divorced now....My wife is very cool about my cars/ toys..No sneaking needed. As far as buying your buggy, I'd suggest finding one that you won't have to "settle" on. Keep looking for one that's nice and has most of the features you want, unless you don't mind doing a little work. The link/ swing combo is fine, but is more of a personal preferance.

bugvert Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:26 am

eacook1 whats a chinese buggy???? :?