TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: please help me confirm type of front beam
MyLilManx Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:17 am

Hi, i'm planning on replacing my front drums with disc brakes, but before that i need to make sure that i purchase the correct type.

can someone please confirm for me whether mine is ball joint front or a king pin style.

looking through a bunch of pictures and reading through various sites, i think that i have a king pin style, but i still want to make sure before i screw myself over with the wrong parts.

also, while looking through types of disc brake kits, i noticed they have variation such as: 5 lug chevy, wide 5 lug VW (5-205), 5 lug porche (5-130). How do I know which to buy?

thanks in advance

here are some pics

best pic i have right now
[/url]

Banzai KG Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:26 am

What you have is a king & linkpin front beam.

Here is what the King & Linkpin beam looks like, notice the shock towers are straight:

1966 and later Karmann Ghia and Beetles used the Ball Joint beam like this, notice the shock towers are curved outwards at the top:

Oil_Eater Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:08 am

MyLilManx wrote:
also, while looking through types of disc brake kits, i noticed they have variation such as: 5 lug chevy, wide 5 lug VW (5-205), 5 lug porche (5-130). How do I know which to buy?

It all depends on what wheels you want to bolt on to your finished project.
If you have a donor porsche that you are using the motor, and you decide you want to keep the Porsche wheels, you'll want the disks drilled for the 5-130mm pattern. If you are staying with the VW rims (there are lots of aftermarket to choose from as well) you'll want the wide 5, If you are going with a chevy style rim, choose the 5 on 4-3/4 (five lug chevy)

You really need to get the rotors for the wheels you want.

Jay

joemama Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:55 am

You currently have wide 5 drums, I assume you have the same on the rear, so if you want it all to match, you need wide 5

MyLilManx Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:21 pm

thanks a bunch! to all of you :D

now i can go change out my brakes.

thanks again

MyLilManx Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:42 pm

but why does the wide 5 VW has to be the more expensive one :(

oh well...my life's worth it :lol:

darkdune Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:06 pm

what is the advantage or a ball joint front beam as oppose to a king and link pin front beam

can you explain the 2 funtions or differences, anyone?

thanks - alex

HamburgerBrad Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:25 pm

darkdune wrote: what is the advantage or a ball joint front beam as oppose to a king and link pin front beam

can you explain the 2 funtions or differences, anyone?

thanks - alex

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101670