TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 356 scam on eBay
Rollo Tomasi Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:53 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-356-1953-Po...1314QQrdZ1 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Rollo Tomasi Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:59 am

still there item number190095076848

and again 190095075059 BUYER BEWARE

EverettB Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:47 pm

They will never stop until eBay actually cracks down on these people.

CarreraRS2.7 Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:51 pm

That's why I don't buy cars on ebay. If I wanted a 356 (or any vintage Porsche), I'd go over to Automobile Atlanta and let them find one.

Rollo Tomasi Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:06 pm

Do this this Guy ever gave up!!

Item Specifics - Cars & Trucks
Porsche : 356
1953 Porsche 356-BUY IT NOW $9500

Miles:
Body Type:
Coupe
Transmission:
Automatic
Number of Doors:
--
Engine:
Interior:
Tan
Warranty:
No
Year:
Title:
Clear
Condition:
Used
Exterior:
Red
Fuel Type:
Gasoline
Inspection:
--
Options
Leather Seats

This TIME MACHINE is ALL ORIGINAL, and 100% complete down to the original spare tire, WINDOW STICKER, service records, ownership history, 2 original keys, books and manuals!!! NO RUST PROBLEMS, no rips or tears on the interior, the factory a/c blows cold, and this car is totally loaded with all the factory options. Specifically Air Conditioning, Power Steering Power Brakes, Power Seats, Power Windows, and cruise control! This is the real thing! DO NOT HESITATE, this car is money in the bank and will sell immediately. Thank you for looking and best of luck to all.

:x :x :x :x I would like to gave this person some" Mexican Justice"
factory options. Specifically Air Conditioning, Power Steering Power Brakes, Power Seats, Power Windows, and cruise control!
:roll: :roll:

53 0val Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:39 pm

CarreraRS2.7 wrote: That's why I don't buy cars on ebay. If I wanted a 356 (or any vintage Porsche), I'd go over to Automobile Atlanta and let them find one.

Good cars are seldom sold on eBay. Most are never listed as 4 sale. The owner lets a few friends know or tells someone in his club....and the car is sold before "anyone" knows it was even 4 sale. That is expecially true of Pre A Porsches.

Downerman Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:00 pm

I have sold on ebay. My 71 914/6 sold and it was perfect..... fetched a fair price and the guy was happy. My 61 Roadster (concours condition but I drove it..... lowered the value a tad) actually sold in Hemmings which could just as well be ebay. Just sold my 91 Vanagon 4 weeks ago on ebay to a delighted buyer from the East coast. I guess my point is there are beautiful cars that do make it to these locations. Many are word of mouth like you said but regardless, you need to be very careful. Get A PPI from a reputable place. Do some background on the buyer if you can. It's sad that dickwads like the 356 scammer can put a sour taste in our mouth.

prea50 Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:12 am

an other one !! be careful !

www.BigSpecialPrice.com

michel

coad Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:54 am

One of those was interesting-- no matter what you clicked on the guy's email popped up in a new window.

It was a genuine ebay link, so how did he do that?

prea50 Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:05 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-356-ENJOY-T...8851QQrdZ1

one all original speedster :lol:

michel

RickJ Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:29 pm

looks like a scammer on Hemmings too...
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/porsche/356b/1456837.html
either that or one heck of a deal ($31K for an apparently mint 356B convertible - ).
RickJ

Unobtanium-inc Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:00 pm

The scammers never sleep. I had a guy recently try to sell me wheels, he sent me pictures of rows of 356 wheels, the problem was it was pictures of my F*&KING warehouse, idiot!

EverettB Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:22 pm

Unobtanium-inc wrote: The scammers never sleep. I had a guy recently try to sell me wheels, he sent me pictures of rows of 356 wheels, the problem was it was pictures of my F*&KING warehouse, idiot!

LOL!

That guy was pretty motivated, recently I have seen them say their camera is broken or their internet can't send photos right now.

Unobtanium-inc Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:35 am

Either that or they are deaf and or just had jaw surgery so they can't talk on the phone. I told one guy who had "just had jaw surgery" that I still needed to call him and we could just do one button for yes and two buttons for no. He didn't want to play anymore....and stopped returning my emails. Guess he needed to relax after all that "surgery".

Glenn Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:58 am

A few years ago i got a email from a friend that told me there's a ebay auction for a Beetle and the guy was using pictures of my car. When i emailed him saying it was my car he told me he found them on the internet and they looked better than his so he used them.

I contacted ebay and they removed the auction.

Not a total scam but the winner would not of gotten the car in the pictures.

Unobtanium-inc Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:04 am

Glenn-
That happens to me a lot, in a way. A guy sends me pics of car that I would consider a "period" shot. Like when the car was running, not been sitting in his yard for 10-15 years. Or his re-collection of the car is a little faulty.
My favorite was the "matching #s" Roadster with new floors and all the metal work done. Sounds great, right?

Well, the car in the guy's backyard with a foot of snow in it, I stepped in the car and my foot went through the floor, no top you see. Then I look at the body work, big thick battleship welds, I asked him who did the work.
His response was classic,
"I taught shop at the high school, the kids learned on this car."

Needless to say we re-negogiated the price...

MoPor Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:15 am

I've reported countless fraudulent ads to Ebay and they take them off right away. Its the same MO - price too good to be true, contact them at a private email address, etc. Most people are astute enough to pick these scams out in a flash.

Unobtanium-inc Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:49 am

Matt,
It usually an older dude that gets scammed, but it happens.

http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/topic.html?f=1&t=24834&hilit=kabuki

MoPor Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:06 am

Yeah its a numbers game for these guys. Sooner or later they catch somebody. I just posted an ad on Kijiji and I got a scammer contacting me already. Unfortunately you just have to be cautious about everyone buying or selling something these days.

Unobtanium-inc Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:18 am

These are my three rules for smelling out a scam.

Couple of easy things to do to prove a scam.
1. Can't talk to the seller on the phone. The BIG RED FLAG.
2. Ask for more pics of something that would be hard to do if you didn't have the car, like the inner upper closing panel, or the side of the battery box, tell him you are worried about accident damage. If the seller can't produce these pics, red flag.
3. Ask him about doing a PPI, pre-purchase inspection, triple red flag if the guy is un-willing.