TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 54 Euro Karmann Kabriolet Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
vdubinit Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:32 pm

Well it's been about a year now since I got this vert and have been torn between doing a full resto or a preservation

Not untill recently I made my decision to do a "preservation" type resto
on this European Kabriolet since it still has all of its OG interior (minus carpet) and the seats are near mint with only one seam coming undone on the drivers seat and plus i'm going to try to bring the OG paint back to life wish me luck 8)

The story behind it was a seriveman in the armed forces bought the Kab new in Germany and drove her around for a few years in the motherland after his term was finished across seas him and his new wife moved back to the states and brought the Kab back with them .

They drove the Kab for a few years here in the U.S. had the car painted for what reasons I dont know I belive they blew the O.G engine and had it replaced in 58 or 59 with a late 36 horse and then in 1961 or 1962 the couple decieded to park it in thier barn as thier new family was growing and they needed a bigger vehicle for the kids but couldn't bare selling the Kab since this was their first car they bought together as newlyweds

So this kabriolet sat in a barn since the early 1960's untouched in a enclosed barn untill about 3 years ago when it was found, The new owner did a few things like getting the rear view mirror and the Batwing steering wheel restored at koch's and a few other things but just never got around to getting it to a driver status

He sold it to a flipper who slapped on the bondo to cover all the little dings and dents and decieded to spary paint it black to try to hide everything :lol:

After all that I'm the HAPPY NEW OWNER and this Kabriolet couldn't be happier being in SUNNY CALIFORNIA :D

I followed the shipping truck off the freeway I was so excited :lol:

AFter getting the Kab to my house I had a 2 week "bust ass" to get her running to make it to the "Meet In The Middle Bar-B-Que" event
I really wanted to show up in this Kab so I worked on it for 8 hours a day after getting off work at 5:00 pm for 2 straight weeks :lol:

The night before the Bar-B-Que I finally got in up and driving and it was the Kab's first night back on the road after nearly 45 years :shock: And I'll tell you what I was SCARED :lol:

I rolled around the nieghborhood with these dim ass 6 volt headlights and then after about 10 minutes of driving around I shot down the little express road and ran the Kab through all 4 gears and I was amazed
on how GREAT IT DROVE but I guess it should since it only has 37 kilometers/25,000 OG miles on it :wink:

On the way to Nojihi Falls to the Meet In The Middle Bar-B-Que Event

vdubinit Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:44 pm

Tucked away for a bit :lol:

vdubinit Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:48 pm

This is the VW dealer in germany were the car was purchased from and what's crazy is that the dealer is still in business today selling VW's :shock: :lol: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl...%26hl%3Den

OTO X58 Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:57 pm

nice car man! Love that dealer badge.

vdubinit Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:04 pm

roachghia70 wrote: nice car man! Love that dealer badge.

vdubinit Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:13 pm

Here are the last registration cards from the original owner and the original owners manuels and maps of VW dealers in europe and other countries 8)

vdubinit Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:21 pm

well so far I've pushed the 56 vert out back to gice myself some room to work

So far I've done some experimenting with differnet types of strippers to remove 2 paint jobs to reveal the OG paint .........MAN this shit ain't easy :!: but in the end I know it's going to be worth it!!! .......How many early verts do you see rockin thier OG glare still :lol:

vdubinit Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:23 pm

Got the Wheels back from the powder coater :shock:

beetleboy58 Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:35 am

vdubinit wrote: Got the Wheels back from the powder coater :shock:

Nice, nice,nice Keep the pics coming...

Wiggy Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 am

Cool.

Someday's I wish I would have just left mine in OG paint.

Mike Att Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:30 am

Thats a great looking Vert you got there :D

I don't think you've mentioned what the OG colour was?

RareAir Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:34 am

vdubinit wrote: Got the Wheels back from the powder coater :shock:

:shock: What happened to the preservation idea? That looks to be the start of a pan-off restoration :D

53 0val Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:37 am

:? OG paint with power coated wheels...................... :roll:

Paint the wheels correctly and forget the power coat.

Rich's 50 Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:43 am

Looks good bro :D

vdubinit Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:44 pm

Bob, what would the stock color combo be for my wheels? the orifinal body color is L41 black.

So I plan on getting down to the OG paint first and see what I have to work with I "hope" there's enough paint left!

vdubinit Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:51 pm

the bottom pic you can see I got the drivers door almost done and I hit it with the buffer for a minute brought "some" shine back

53 0val Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:52 pm

vdubinit wrote: Bob, what would the stock color combo be for my wheels? the orifinal body color is L41 black.

Well I see as this I'am going to "TRY" to bring the OG paint back but I already know that there will have to be some spot painting.

So I plan on getting down to the OG paint all around the vert first and see what I have to work with I "hope" there's enough paint left!

L41 black gets L41 black rims with L87 pearl white hubs.

Wiggy Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:45 am

53 0val wrote: vdubinit wrote: Bob, what would the stock color combo be for my wheels? the orifinal body color is L41 black.

Well I see as this I'am going to "TRY" to bring the OG paint back but I already know that there will have to be some spot painting.

So I plan on getting down to the OG paint all around the vert first and see what I have to work with I "hope" there's enough paint left!

L41 black gets L41 black rims with L87 pearl white hubs.

Yup. Forget preservation, I'd just resto that mo fo.

vwluver74 Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:54 am

really sweet car. cant wait to see more pics! :)

arod Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:32 pm

that is a very nice car. nice dealer badge. i myself have a '59 'vert that also has a dealer badge on the passenger front lower quarter panel above the 'kabriolet' badge will see if i can get a pic of it. it says
HANS MOOSMAIER
bamberg