TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Off road tires Page: 1, 2  Next
gatorvw Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:33 pm

Long time VW guy first Thing. I want tough looking tires on my 74 thing. Like to keep stock rims or 15" rims that look stock. Sugestions???

Ferretkona Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:56 pm

I am running 15 inch EMPI's with 215/75 Remingtons that are 28 inches high. EMPI's have been ran on VW's for so long they just might have been a optional wheel. No rubbing so far.

gatorvw Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:31 pm

Thank you so much but I am going for a military look on this build. Funny i have 3 sets in the garage.

krewe01 Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:44 pm

Sorry just realized you were looking for tires not wheels

kubelmann Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:25 pm

BFG AT K/O is the off road tire of preference. Looks good and meand and tears up the terrain and wears well. I have Dominators 205 75 15 on front and BFT At KO 215 75 15 rear.

klokard Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:26 pm

Check out these G78 by 14 inch off road tires by McCreary. They are 8 ply bias and look sweet. I'll try a set and pass on info. Talked to them today and they are selling for $40 a piece. Almost 1/3 the price of the BFG A/T's.

http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/super-traxion.html

wa6usa Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:31 pm

kubelmann wrote: BFG AT K/O is the off road tire of preference. Looks good and meand and tears up the terrain and wears well. I have Dominators 205 75 15 on front and BFT At KO 215 75 15 rear.
I have these BFG AT K/O 235 75 15 on the rear with Micky Thompsons up front. I bought my Thing with these and hate them. I'll gladly trade for stock tires and rims. My Thing handles horribly with this set up.

Captain Spalding Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:13 pm

klokard wrote: Check out these G78 by 14 inch off road tires by McCreary. . .
Those things look RAD. I look forward to your review - and some pics!

Towel Rail Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:09 am

Here's what I'll be putting on 15" rims eventually...

uberautowerks Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:36 am

Just guessing, but from the looks of the brick, I think Towel Rail needs some E-brake work as well!!!

Towel Rail Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:53 am

uberautowerks wrote: Just guessing, but from the looks of the brick, I think Towel Rail needs some E-brake work as well!!!

Why you gotta keep picking on me? :lol:

I chock my car whenever I work under it, no matter how good the parking brake is.

Ian Epperson Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:15 pm

Towel Rail wrote: uberautowerks wrote: Just guessing, but from the looks of the brick, I think Towel Rail needs some E-brake work as well!!!

Why you gotta keep picking on me? :lol:

I chock my car whenever I work under it, no matter how good the parking brake is.

If you look real close, you can see a little gap between the brick and the tire.

Tires must be flat...
:lol:

Sorry, I thought it was "pick on Towel Rail day"

J Flare Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:05 pm

I posted mine in the gallery. I don't know how to post it here?

Bridgestone Dueler A/T

J Flare Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:21 pm

Amazing what happens when you read :lol:

kubelmann Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:59 pm

Mickey Thompson E 78 x 15 Mini Mag $100 each
http://mickeythompsontires.com/off-road.php?item=MiniMag

up front and BFG AT K/O rear is a classic off road tire set up. Not typically "smooth" on a paved highway. If I remember the Mickey Thmpson's are marked "not for highway use"

I bet somebody would love to trade you for stock type wheels and tires. Shipping can get nasty for wheels with tires installed. The good new is FedEx will ship them as is without a box. I have Dominators up front that do well and cost far less than the Mickey Thompsons.

wa6usa Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:53 am

kubelmann wrote: Mickey Thompson E 78 x 15 Mini Mag $100 each
http://mickeythompsontires.com/off-road.php?item=MiniMag

up front and BFG AT K/O rear is a classic off road tire set up. Not typically "smooth" on a paved highway. If I remember the Mickey Thmpson's are marked "not for highway use"

I bet somebody would love to trade you for stock type wheels and tires. Shipping can get nasty for wheels with tires installed. The good new is FedEx will ship them as is without a box. I have Dominators up front that do well and cost far less than the Mickey Thompsons.
I changed the MT E78X15 today for 205 75 R15 street tires, the Thing feels much better on the highway now. The BFG AT K/O's will stay on the rear. It's a fair compromise.
The Mickey Thompsons went to Craigslist.

klokard Sat May 05, 2007 5:15 pm

[img]http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=349154[/img]

klokard Sat May 05, 2007 5:20 pm

Anyway. The McCreary tires I posted the link for above have come in and are on my car. Check 'em out in the Thing gallery. I love them. 1/2 price of BFG's to boot.

Ian Epperson Sat May 05, 2007 6:19 pm

klokard wrote:

(gotta use the "link to this photo" to make it work instead of the link to the entire page)

Captain Spalding Sat May 05, 2007 6:34 pm

Those look great, Chuck. I love those beefy lugs. Tough.