TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: And this is why we bring spare parts, kids!
Towel Rail Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:10 pm

It happened on my drive home from work just now. I was pulling away from an intersection, getting ready to merge onto the highway, and my accelerator pedal fell, limp, to the floor. The cable had snapped clean at the front hook.

"Oh shit!" :shock:

I was able to put on my hazard lights and pull over quickly without anyone ramming me. I dug through my glove box and found my spare clutch cable...

"Oh no, what if I don't have a spare accelerator cable?"

Luckily I found it, and installed it in about 10 minutes. I took city roads the whole way back with mixed feelings. I was proud that I'd been able to fix my car and get it on the road again (without needing a tow), but a little bummed out that I'd had to. :(

I guess you guys know the moral of this story...

Ian Epperson Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:59 pm

Towel Rail wrote: I guess you guys know the moral of this story...

Yes, but never going to work again isn't yet an option for me! :lol:

Seriously though, good on ya!

Bajavwracer Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:20 pm

i always carry enough parts to re-do the whole car in the middle of nowhere even when i just go to the super market :lol:

GSD_Master Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:47 pm

I had this same thing happen to me when I was out driving once. The cable even broke in the same place, behind the front hook. I did not have a spare accellerator cable. I did have a screwdriver, which I wedged between the throttle at the carburetor. I drove all the way home in second gear and without a functioning gas pedal.

uberautowerks Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:32 pm

Great that you had a spare! Now make sure you correctly adjust the new one and it will last forever.

With the pedal to the floor you should be able to open the carb just a bit more. Otherwise your cable goes guitar string tight when you stomp on it!

hoserbug Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Did you remember to buy a replacement for the glove box?

Towel Rail Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:50 pm

uberautowerks wrote: Great that you had a spare! Now make sure you correctly adjust the new one and it will last forever.

With the pedal to the floor you should be able to open the carb just a bit more. Otherwise your cable goes guitar string tight when you stomp on it!

Me too! I knew I'd bought a spare a long time ago, but couldn't remember if I'd used it already or not.

The way I adjust it is to have someone else mash the pedal to the floor, and check to see if the throttle plate is all the way open, with a little extra travel to go.

Towel Rail Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:51 pm

hoserbug wrote: Did you remember to buy a replacement for the glove box?

I ordered 3. 8)

markie61 Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:40 am

My first Thing back in the early 80's had this happen. Didn't have a spare. Found something and wedged the carb's throttle to middle RPM's. Took back roads too! Probably a little hard on the clutch, but it was only a couple of miles to get home.

The beauty of ACVWs: simplicity.

Mark

chuy Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:34 pm

Same thing happened to me, but I didn't have a spare cable. What I did have was some 3/8" rope. Some minor routing of the rope in the engine compartment to the outside and I was able to drive home.

That is the last time I want to shift with one hand and accelerate with the other.....

HOTBAJA Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:03 am

Mine broke on a baja I had 25 years ago, no cable middle of BFE Made my buddy ride on the rear cage and operate the throttle (safety first) for about 10 miles. Now that I think about it I havent heard from him since. :D

krewe01 Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:56 pm

You gotta love old VWs. Try doing any of that in a new one or any other car

vwthingboy Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:46 pm

Aircooled.net (and probably others) sell stronger alternatives to stock:

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=FSC0004&cartid=0330200785727231

The connection is different than stock, but do-able.

Pinky Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:56 pm

GSD_Master wrote: I had this same thing happen to me when I was out driving once. The cable even broke in the same place, behind the front hook. I did not have a spare accellerator cable. I did have a screwdriver, which I wedged between the throttle at the carburetor. I drove all the way home in second gear and without a functioning gas pedal.

Aw man- I did the same thing with a cigarette butt a few years ago. People were staring at me pretty hard at stoplights with my engine running at full rev... No- I didn't roast the bearings-

kubelmann Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:41 am

I have this HD cable set up on all my VWs I will never do a roadside repair on this issue ever again. I have perhaps 20 or so heavy duty stock style throttle cables for sale. NowI only run the aircraft style cables for throttle. i also have a big suppy of the sylvania 6024 halogen sealed 7" headlights for all VWs for half what they cost new retail. $18