TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: hardtop connections?
kitb Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:57 pm

I just picked up a manx style hardtop for my thunderbug from a member, thanks Mark! do you guys with hardtops have any pics, or do or don't advice for securing it?
thanks!

lostinbaja Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:38 am

I made aluminum brackets that bolt around the rollbar in 4 places. I only have pictures of the prototype "oak" holddowns. I used 2 stainless buttonhead bolts through the top into the each bracket.
The only problem is that the top comes out of the windshield frame. Next I plan on making clamps that will hold the top to the windshield frame.

Here are a couple pictures.

Jerry...

caseydenise Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:39 pm

I'll get some pictures of mine on Monday. the front has a small aluminum strip in the winshield frame. The fiberglass top is formed around in the front to kinda latch around the metal strip.
The rear end is bolted through the body with some spacers, on the inside near the seat compartment. It works great.
This post is useless without pics. I'm an idiot.

Rbake Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:24 pm

Nice work lostinbaja!! I'd love to see some final pics, did you mil them yourself or have a machine shop make them? How much?

p.s. lay off the diet pepsi :lol:

HeidelbergJohn4.0 Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:16 pm

I just acquired a mold for a Manx style hardtop that appears in decent enough shape to use. It appears just as caseydenise described. It curls back under aross the front where it would slot into the groove across the front of the windshield. I got it along with two very thick Manx clone bodies , one in pretty good structural shape but one was cut in half, so it may get stretched. Both need paint.

I also have a similar fiberglass top that I need to modify for my long body. It was actually originally a fake landau top from a Buick leSabre/ Olds 88 sedan might not sound so good, however the width is almost perfect, it just needs to be lengthened a touch.It works if I lay the windshield back quite a bit, but it puts the glass too close tpo my face and throws off the lines of the buggy. It actually will wrap around the rear outside and attach like a soft top, not just on the inside like the Manx top. I'm gonna do some foam insulation and a few screws into nut inserts I'll glass in. It will be fairly easy to incorporate a rear window for cool weather and I'm working on ideas for doors or side curtains. Someday I'll get some pictures.

lostinbaja Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:19 pm

Here are some pics of the aluminum versions of my oak prototypes.
My brother is a tool maker for Panduit and he cut them out on their waterjet. I have already written the CNC program to make a cleanup cut on the perimeter edge.
I plan on lightening the mounts up by cutting slots in them. I did make UHMW nylon bushings for the inside so it wouldn't marr the rollbar when they were clamped on.
The next step is to figure out how to get my hardtop from Texas to Chicago so I can use the mounts.

Jerry...

Rbake Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:50 pm

Since i'm in central Texas, you should just mail them to me and tell me where that top is and i'll try em out for ya!! :lol:

they look very professional, it's the kind of quality fabrication that will set your buggy apart from the others.