TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Windshield angle, creates gap between windows Page: 1, 2  Next
FreakCitySF Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:09 pm

lewis71bug had brought up his windshield angle.

And I have been long suffering from this same problem

I have not found a cure

Here are some pics

The Angle looks correct,

However it has issues at another vantage point

Inside the car I see this
Left and Right side

Notice the angle of the convertable top frame, angles down where it meets the windshield

Here is the downside to a ill fitting top frame

knocks the powdercoating off on the lower left window

and top of window

Here are some issues

I think others have had the same issue before. Using weatherstripping is just like using bubblegum for a oil leak

Anyone have any experience with this situation?

74 Thing Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:08 pm

The Thing Shop sold an adhesive strip that attaches to the windshield frame and it is a foam type material-works great and looks fine as well.

kubelmann Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:14 pm

A number of years ago we did a group buy on a big roll of 21st centure "D" shaped hollow and very compressible self adhesive widnow seal that solved this issue on both of my Things and a good number of other folks' Things as well. Total cost per car including shpping was a very good price.

FreakCitySF Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:49 pm

Is there a better fix then weather stripping.

I'm thinking if i adjust the windshield a little i can get it fit better.

LUNATIK Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:39 pm

My Thing has a piece of aluminum in an L shape from the top of the winshield lip all the way down, when you close the door, the window get in between the frame lip and the aluminum frame. I can drive +70mph in the rain or any kind of weather and it doesn't leak any water inside or any air. I will post picture later today when I find my camera.

Uray

GSD_Master Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:08 pm

I use little adhesive felt pads on ares of my side curtains where it looks like they might be rubbing too much on my soft top or on my windshield frame. This is to keep the vinyl or (like in your case) the powder coating on my windows from getting messed up. They were expensive, so I want them to last as long as possible.

lewis71bug Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:39 pm

74 Thing wrote: The Thing Shop sold an adhesive strip that attaches to the windshield frame and it is a foam type material-works great and looks fine as well.

Do you have a link for this? I don't see it on their website.

Thanks

FreakCitySF Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:29 pm

I might as well use wads of duck tape

That thing shop weather strip was NOT for this type of gap.

lewis71bug Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:57 am

kubelmann wrote: A number of years ago we did a group buy on a big roll of 21st centure "D" shaped hollow and very compressible self adhesive widnow seal that solved this issue on both of my Things and a good number of other folks' Things as well. Total cost per car including shpping was around $15

Do you have a link for what you used, or some pictures? I found some hollow seal at my FLAPS, but it seems like it would be too thick to work.

Wayne

ztnoo Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:03 am

This Thing Shop item might help insure the windshield angle is correct.
Windshield Frame Supports http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181WSB

kubelmann Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:29 am

Check out posts by kubelmann under the topic "seal" and you will find two images on Samba gallery.

74 Thing Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:42 am

Why don't you just fold down the windshield and loosed the bolts then adjust the windshield frame if you do not want to use an foam piece on the side of the frame. The reason it does not fit correctly is usually the top frame is oout of alignment or bent or the winshield frame is out of alignment or bent.

FreakCitySF Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:22 am

I just realized that any kind of hits to the apron or lip of the hood on the front would put the windshield out of alignment.

It would just push on where the windshield hinge bolts to the body pushing it back.

I'm going to try to adjust it today but I already know I won't have much freeplay.

lewis71bug Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:19 pm

kubelmann wrote: Check out posts by kubelmann under the topic "seal" and you will find two images on Samba gallery.

I saw your pictures. Do you have a link to the type of seal you used?

Wayne

lewis71bug Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:19 pm

ztnoo wrote: This Thing Shop item might help insure the windshield angle is correct.
Windshield Frame Supports http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181WSB

I have those braces installed and it didn't help with the problem.

ztnoo Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:01 pm

Quote: Check out posts by kubelmann under the topic "seal" and you will find two images on Samba gallery.
Some links from k-mann would be helpful, wouldn't they?
I believe these are the pics under consideration:

Quote: Do you have a link to the type of seal you used?
I believe ya gotta go through the man to get to the goodies, so to speak
Its a sales thing........exclusive franchised territory.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=12933

mstatedog Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:28 pm

I like urayohan's solution...my 181 has the same problem. New Thingshop top, frame, side-curtains, seals, etc. The gap is not too noticeable until driving down the highway. I can put my index finger tip in the gap at the very top.

I'd like to see some pictures from urayohan.

dog

FreakCitySF Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:55 pm

Ive had a hardtop and there is bigger gap but its pretty uniform. Foam would be ideal in that situation.

The problem I have described is just the top of the windshield. And it has to do with the height of the windshield and the windows. The windshield has slid down some and as a result pulls down the top frame which doesnt leave enough room for the windows to fit better.

Ian Epperson Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:16 pm

Mine opens a gap at highway speeds too. I've got the Thing Shop's sliding glass windows in front (they now call them rear sliding windows) and when the window is open it sucks the window tight to the windshield. When it's raining, I actually get less water in the car by opening the windows a bit.

I've always thought that if I were to solve the problem, I'd use a magnetic strip:
http://www.magnetsource.com/Consumer%20Pages/Flex_Tape.html

Put a strip on the leading edge of the front windows, and it should hold them closed at speed, and interfere when the doors open. If it doesn't hold closed enough, add more strip making it side by side. If it holds too much, remove some.
:)

kubelmann Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:48 pm

The trim on my car as Steve posted is not available on a web site. I had it custom made to my exact specifications for the purpose shown. The manufacturer had a 500' run limitation. So I put a group buy together a number of years ago. It is not the stuff you get at Flaps. I have thought about another production run but would need to have other interested because 500' is a lot of seal regardless of how good it is. Last time folks who got it were very thrilled with the outrageous quality and the low price. An entire car was done for around $20 It has elastic memory and a time setting adhesive that allows 4 hours apply the foam close the doors open the doors and reposition the foam untl you get it jsut right. Once the adhesive cures it will NEVER come off unless you twist it with pressure, purposely and then it comes off and is ruined.. Not to mention that the foam will flatten to just under 1/8" with no pressure applied back toward other parts. I still have maybe 20' left but am working on my 79 bus and have thought of using it for door seal in the rear area. I have all seals used and new for the Thing as well as stuff that does not exist anywhere else. This is not a business but rather a hobby supported by my efforts and passion. I have spent hundreds of hours compiling and creating the RoMTOC Thing Data CD. I am now in the 5th version of production. I sell it for $12.50 shipped. Never a complaint.