TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: What are the best Tires for 14" Vanagon rims?
ebennett Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:31 am

So the Vanagon needs tires.

I have a good set of 185 70 R14 but these are too narrow for my liking.

I want 205 70 R14 but this size does not come as a "light truck tire" only passenger vehicle

What is the best tire for stability? I don't want to get blown around on the highway when I get passed by a Mack Truck

mightyart Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:09 am

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Agilis

ChesterKV Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:27 am

2nd.....Agilis are GREAT tires for the Vanagon

Wildthings Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:35 am

Here are some 205/75R14 with a 2271# rating, they should satify the worst deniers.

http://www.federaltyres.com.au/er01

ebennett Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:17 pm

freakness wrote: 2nd.....Agilis are GREAT tires for the Vanagon

So most people use 185 width on their vans?

Starting to question my 205 width, my thinking; wider is better

mightyart Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:27 pm

ebennett wrote: Starting to question my 205 width, my thinking; wider is better

Not always, for Vanagons reinforced sidewalls beat a bit wider hands down, more so if you have manual steering.

hiram6 Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:30 pm

The BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A i s available in a 14 inch size. Uses the "old" sizing nomenclature for trucks, so the size is listed as 27x8.50-14LT.

Slightly taller than the Michelins, but actually makes my speedo more accurate. It is perfectly accurate up to about 60 mph, then it starts showing slow. At a GPS measured 70 mph, my speedo shows 67.

Love my BFG T/As, they don't ride harsh, no excessive tire noise. No complaints.

Wildthings Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:32 pm

ebennett wrote: Starting to question my 205 width, my thinking; wider is better

Nope, wider usually just means more steering effort. Running 205's is no big deal though, many if not most do so.

Randy in Maine Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:36 pm

Been here?

http://busdepot.com/details/tires.jsp

deprivation Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:45 pm

I just put Hankook RA8s on my heap (an '86 Westy with four billion miles on it) as they are highly recomended - by Bus Depot, anyway. They are also the tires that come on many of the "new" campers at Poptop Heaven. Isn't heaven where something goes when it dies?

The Hankooks are rated at a rim-busting 65psi which is I think higher than the Agilis, although I don't know if higher is better - it's just higher. I guess you get a stiffer sidewall and less lean on turns and less "smoosh" overall.

I priced Agilis and after it was all said and done, Discount Tire had the best price for (5 tires - don't forget the spare) installation, balance, lifetime commitment and hazard warranty - about a grand. More money than I have in my van restoration budget. So I decided to go with the Hankooks.

The RA8s, also from Discount Tire, came in at less than $600 even though they had to ship them in from Jersey to Austin, Texas. This also inludes the install, balance, warranty and a cheese danish.

They ride great but I have to wait until I put some Bilsteins on before I can say if they are the bees knees.

Two cents.

jeremysmithatshawdotca Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:45 pm

ebennett wrote: freakness wrote: 2nd.....Agilis are GREAT tires for the Vanagon

So most people use 185 width on their vans?

Starting to question my 205 width, my thinking; wider is better

185R14 C s were stock on steel rims, 205/70R14 was stock on alloys. You could check out the tire sticky in the bay forum, for more tire discussion than you can shake a stick at!

Jeremy

klucz Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:16 pm

I like the Bridgestone Dueler A/T's on my rig, especially off road and in the snow.

mightyart Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:33 pm

deprivation wrote:
I priced Agilis and after it was all said and done, Discount Tire had the best price for (5 tires - don't forget the spare) installation, balance, lifetime commitment and hazard warranty - about a grand. More money than I have in my van restoration budget. So I decided to go with the Hankooks.

I bought mine at discount tire, 5 Agilis for 650.00
Agilis are rated at 65psi max

GeorgeL Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:36 pm

deprivation wrote: The Hankooks are rated at a rim-busting 65psi which is I think higher than the Agilis, although I don't know if higher is better - it's just higher.

That's right, since you should run the pressure specified by the vehicle, not the max pressure on the sidewall. Otherwise you will get a hammering ride and wear out the centers of the treads.

If you want minimum wind-effect, you want the sidewalls to be stiff and vertical, which is what you get with 185s.

slowesty Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:38 pm

Another vote for the BFG's. They look great, handle great and guarantee you comfort offroad.

ebennett Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:51 am

Just a follow up, I purchased

Yokohama Super Van tires

Model: Y356
Size: 185R14
Load Index:
Load Range: D
Max Load: 1850 lbs
Max Infl@ion Pressure: 65 psi
Tire Weight: 24 lbs.
Diameter: 25.7"
Revs/per Mile: 809
Fits in Stock Clamshell: Yes

So far I am very happy with my purchase

Here are some reviews on tires for the vanagon/bus;

http://www.roadhaus.com/tires.html

joetiger Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:45 am

slowesty wrote: Another vote for the BFG's. They look great, handle great and guarantee you comfort offroad.

I love the BFG's. I've had Duelers (loud!), BFG Commercial TA's (awful), and Goodyear Workhorse (NLA), and the BFG AT KO's are the best I've had. And, most importantly, they look cool.

tortuga Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:38 am

ebennett wrote: Just a follow up, I purchased

Yokohama Super Van tires

Model: Y356
Size: 185R14
Load Index:
Load Range: D
Max Load: 1850 lbs
Max Infl@ion Pressure: 65 psi
Tire Weight: 24 lbs.
Diameter: 25.7"
Revs/per Mile: 809
Fits in Stock Clamshell: Yes

So far I am very happy with my purchase

Here are some reviews on tires for the vanagon/bus;

http://www.roadhaus.com/tires.html

Same exact tires I bought in January. I've been very pleased with them so far, and they beat the pants off of the passenger tires that were on the van when I bought it (those things were scary).

r39o Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:55 am

Wildthings wrote: Here are some 205/75R14 with a 2271# rating, they should satify the worst deniers.

http://www.federaltire.com/en/images/datasheet/060713111703_ER01.pdf

I emailed Federal to find out where to buy. I did that a few weeks ago after a post about that brand. No response. I do not recall seeing a US phone number to call either.

So where do you buy these wonder tires?



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group