TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I am soooo confused stub axle disc question
wheelchairdave Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:56 pm

A little help anyone I have a 73 thing with a late model bus auto transmission attached to stock boxed trailing arms, porsche cv joints and the disc kit with emergency brakes from so cal auto parts, powered by a 2110. I leave ventura californiia and burn up my right rear wheel bearing by the time I arrive in huntington beach, replace both bearings and seals and I am off to san diego, no trouble, I am towing a small trailer that carrys a power wheelchair, I am rolling slow and easy, the next day into mex, about k120 head off down a typical little dirt road no worries camp fo the night all is good, head down the road in the morning and start getting a nasty squeak at about 200k or so out, pull over spend the night in the desert awaken and pull apart the rear hub and the stub axle has completely torn the splines up in the hub/disc I order a new part install with new seals and bearings and Test drive it about 120k before the same squeak begins, I pull over and find the rear wheel is loose, cotter key still in place wheel loose, torque it back on, yes I used a giant cheater and torqued it to probably 300 ft lbs down the road again squeak squeak squeak, after another 120k its loose again, any ideas? I did the bearings myself I know they were seated properly, then I had a local mechanic pull it apart and check my work he confirmed, I havent pulled it back off yet but I have to assume the hub is f,,d again, the cvs move freely, the bearings roll fine, I tighten it and everything is solid, any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

nwflvw Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:10 pm

Dave, I would replace the spacers on that wheel. Something has to be crushing for the axle nut to keep coming loose. I know Sway A Way makes (or used to make) hardened spacers.
Years ago we used to race an off road car and were having the same problem. I bought a 3/4" or 1" torque wrench and started torquing the axle nuts to 225 lb. It solved our problem. For some reason you could over torque the axle nut on a street car but tightening it as much as possbile would not work on the off road car.
Another thing you could try is to swap the hubs from side to side and see if the problem follows the hub or stays on the same side. With aftermarket parts you could be getting some soft hubs.
Hope you are able to solve your frustrating problem. Vince

wheelchairdave Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:04 pm

Those are two great ideas, I hadnt thought of either. I would think if it was crushing that it would hinder the spinning of the wheel though?! do you happen to know if there is a right and I left stub axle?, thats the other thought I had was maybe I had two rights... and one was meant to have left hand threads,,,

kubelmann Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:38 pm

Dave.. So cool to see your post. Long time no contact K-mann here. I am wondering if your diagonal arm bearing housing is ovaled. If you have a misshaped housing that could create your issue. I love your journal entry of your journey. As a frequesnt US via Mex traveler I am impressed that you got parts... I am sorry you had such a tough journey.... I did not go South recently because of health and weather and it turns out if I had, I would have been screwed as a 180 degree jumped timing chain that would have happened far from anywhere that parts or help existed and just happened inside the sphere of safe and secure reality...

wheelchairdave Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:14 pm

It sure seems tight when I seat the bearings in there, (and I have done it a couple times now) Thanks for the thought, I think I am going to swap sides like was earlier suggested and see if its the hub or the stub, if you like the post and want to follow my progress, I am doing a little travel blog http://poorwhitecrippledboy.blogspot.com I hope your health is returning and life is good 4 you---