TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: California Black Plate Bill Hearing Monday, April 9 Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Banzai KG Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:00 pm

Received an email from a classic car list that I'm on...

Greetings ....

I hate Spam but this is VERY important
If you want to get these California black and gold LICENSE plates back on your 1963 to 1969 cars and trucks from 1963 thru 1972...

WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT (AND YOUR LOOSE CHANGE)

ON MONDAY APRIL 9TH - 1:30PM AT THE STATE CAPITOL
House Republican Minority Leader Mike Villines Bill AB 462 WILL BE HEARD BY Assembly Transportation Committee at 1:30pm in room 4202.

Bob Stearns President of ACCC will be addressing the committee
Everyone is invited to be there to suport Bob and show there is concerned people who care about this bill..

Here's the bill summary:

Under existing law, an owner of a vehicle that is a 1962 or older model year vehicle may, under specified circumstances, utilize license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to the model year date when the vehicle was manufactured. This bill instead would authorize this option for the owner of a vehicle that is a 1969 or older model year or the owner of a commercial vehicle or pickup truck that is a 1972 or older model year.

If you can't make it... you can join ACCC $25 at http://www.acccdefender.org/individualapp.htm

Also send any loose change donations to help in the lobby efforts to see this bill thru to law.
Call Bob at (916)663-4584 he'll tell you where to send "lobby money".

--- John
Cruisin' News
PO Box 1096
Folsom CA 95763-1096
(916)933-0949
fax: (916)933-4791
[email protected]

VolksFire Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:52 pm

Jim is right everybody. This is very important. I've wanted to put black plates on my 66 bug and my 63 single cab for a long time. For those of you who have seen my single cab, those plates are actually blue plates that i painted black. But my 66 bug has those ugly white california plates. They're too hard to paint black. The blue ones are just easier cause they were stamped the same as black ones, minus the 63 in the corner.

Anyway to get back to the main point, we should all go to support this bill. Even if you don't really care and it doesn't apply to you, you should still go. I'll be there for sure. Thanks eveybody. Volksfire.

agreendaya Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:46 pm

So if you have old plates on anything later than '62 you can get pulled over?

clearsurf2001 Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:17 pm

In addition to sending money ... try contacting the committee members.

Committee Members............District.........Phone............E-mail
Pedro Nava - Chair Dem-35 (916) 319-2035 [email protected]
Michael D. Duvall - Vice Chair Rep-72 (916) 319-2072 [email protected]
Wilmer Amina Carter Dem-62 (916) 319-2062 [email protected]
Mark DeSaulnier Dem-11 (916) 319-2011 [email protected]
Cathleen Galgiani Dem-17 (916) 319-2017 [email protected]
Martin Garrick Rep-74 (916) 319-2074 [email protected]
Shirley Horton Rep-78 (916) 319-2078 [email protected]
Guy S. Houston Rep-15 (916) 319-2015 [email protected]
Bob Huff Rep-60 (916) 319-2060 [email protected]
Betty Karnette Dem-54 (916) 319-2054 [email protected]
Anthony J. Portantino Dem-44 (916) 319-2044 [email protected]
Ira Ruskin Dem-21 (916) 319-2021 [email protected]
Jose Solorio Dem-69 (916) 319-2069 [email protected]
Nell Soto Dem-61 (916) 319-2061 [email protected]

Lost_Camper Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:22 pm

agreendaya wrote: So if you have old plates on anything later than '62 you can get pulled over?

Only if they're not already assigned to that car. If your dub's had those plates since the mid 60s and they're current and you have the papers to prove it, you're golden!

warcrocop Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:38 am

You should just get a pre 62 VW and then you don't have to worry about it. J/K. Good luck with that. The old black plates are cool.

bill may Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:21 am

my 65 panel bus and my savannah beige 67 beetle have black plates. but they were original to them. :D

vwracerdave Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:32 am

Somebody please explain to me what difference the plate on your car makes. All cars must have a license plate. Does a special plate make your car worth more? or does it just say "Look at me, I'm an attention whore". I view any license plate as a distraction from the beauty of the car, just like a pimple on your face. I want people to look at my car, not my plate. I just don't get it. Just my opinion.

bugntjw Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:11 am

vwracerdave wrote: I view any license plate as a distraction from the beauty of the car, just like a pimple on your face.
Depending on the color of the car, the white plate can be a huge "Pimple" and the black plate would not be such a huge pimple. Some want to restore their cars to as original as possible, and a YOM plate is the icing on the cake. And some want to incorporate their plates into the car, and stop it from being a pimple; to being an accessory.

vwluver74 Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:53 am

i hope this passes. i have a mint set of yellow plates with a perfect 1962 sticker for my 62 singlecab. id really like to use them.

coad Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:10 am

How many states besides California have the system where the plates stay with the car when ownership changes?

VolksFire Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:35 pm

vwluver74 wrote: i hope this passes. i have a mint set of yellow plates with a perfect 1962 sticker for my 62 singlecab. id really like to use them.

You already can. Putting yellow plates on a car is not a problem, if the car is a 62 or older. So in your case you should have no problem registering those plates.

The bill we are supporting is supposed to extend the cut-off year from 1962 (the current cut-off year) to 1969 for cars and 1972 for tucks/commercial models. That way, we will finally be able to put the black plates on the cars, which were issued from 63-69. Blue was issued from 69-87. The yellow plates you have were issued from 56-62.

notchback Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:28 am

coad wrote: How many states besides California have the system where the plates stay with the car when ownership changes? I think most states do. Idaho is the only state that I've lived in where the plate belongs to the person. I've had cars in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Texas and Louisiana, and in all those states, the plate stays with the car (or at least it did when I lived there).

blankmange Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:32 am

notchback wrote: coad wrote: How many states besides California have the system where the plates stay with the car when ownership changes? I think most states do. Idaho is the only state that I've lived in where the plate belongs to the person. I've had cars in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Texas and Louisiana, and in all those states, the plate stays with the car (or at least it did when I lived there).

you have the option here in Missouri; keep the plates or not...

Buggeroff Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:39 am

notchback wrote: coad wrote: How many states besides California have the system where the plates stay with the car when ownership changes? I think most states do. Idaho is the only state that I've lived in where the plate belongs to the person. I've had cars in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Texas and Louisiana, and in all those states, the plate stays with the car (or at least it did when I lived there).

Illinois plates stay with the owner and can be transferred to multiple future vehicle purchases.
I always thought that was a bit stupid since the plate only refers to the owner and not the vehicle untill it goes through the DMV process.
A car can be stolen, but, if the perp uses his own plates he has a window of opportunity to dispose of his loot.

Chris.

pyrOman Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:38 am

In the People's Repulik of Kalifornia the plates belong to the owner of the vehicle. I started my plate collection by getting new plates on every vehicle I bought. Upon registering them, I simply told the dmv expert counter person that the previous owner kept the original plates and they'd issue me new ones no questions asked. Just as they do with personalized plates, they belong to the owner. 8)

In Puerto Rico though, the plate (single one on the rear) not only has to stay with the vehicle but it actually belongs to the "state". Damn quasi socio-communist gunmint! :evil:

Bogey Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:11 pm

"they belong to the owner. Cool "

In reference to CA...
Uh, I think you are wrong. I bought my first 69 in 1991. It had blue plates on it. When I transferred the title the they asked if it had both plates on it. I said yes (cuz it did) and they left me alone and gave me a title.
When I bought my current 69, it had only the rear plate but it was BLACK. Remembering what was asked in 1991 by the DMV, I responded to saying " YES, it does have both plates on it, front and rear." and they gave me a title and left me alone. The plates, in my case DO NOT belong to the previous owner. Personal plates, that's a different issue.
BTW, the plate on my car looks like sheet and needs to be restored, but is Original to my car, hence, valuable to at least keep the uno I have.

VolksFire Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:04 pm

Quote: In reference to CA...
Uh, I think you are wrong.....

Well, keep in mind that 1969 was the transition date from black to blue plates. Depending on the date they changed, and the date your 69 was built, it's possible that a 69 bug could have come with either color plate.

Either that, or your 69 that had blue plates originally had black plates, and the owner just replaced them with the new blue plates when they came out.

Foe example: My 63 single cab originally had black plates, but the owner replaced them with blue plates in 1969, the year the blue plates were first issued. I have all the paperwork.

pyrOman Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:15 pm

I still have the original black plates from my previous '65. 8)

If the po decides not to keep the plates, dmv will just transfer them to you. If he keps them then you'll get new plates. :?

Bogey Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:43 pm

[quote="VolksFire"] Quote: In reference to CA...
Uh, I think you are wrong.....

Well, keep in mind that 1969 was the transition date from black to blue plates. Depending on the date they changed, and the date your 69 was built, it's possible that a 69 bug could have come with either color plate.

Either that, or your 69 that had blue plates originally had black plates, and the owner just replaced them with the new blue plates when they came out.

Foe example: My 63 single cab originally had black plates, but the owner replaced them with blue plates in 1969, the year the blue plates were first issued. I have all the paperwork.[/quote

Oh, I agree with you. My first one may have had blackies once since it did have multiple owners before me. I just don't agree that the plates belong to the owners, that's all. I'm sure DMV would have wanted the old plates or either have them "DQed" if you will.