TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Newbie lessons learned (part 1)
Fun 181 Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:20 am

Well, I finally got my Thing back from the shop yesterday.

I purchased the car last October and dropped it off at a local ACVW mechanic for a total overhaul. It's been a long 5 months of ordering parts and watching everything come together. I now have a brand new engine (2110 with dual Kadrons), a new Rancho Performance tranny and a boatload of other goodies.

Unforfortunately, my experience working with my local mechanic didn't turn out the way I had hoped. If you live in the CT/NY/MA area kep your eye out for my review in the "Buyer/Seller feedback" forum. I'll be leaving some feedback there in a week or two after I calm down.

As a relative newbie I thought I would share a few lessons that I have learned so far.

Lesson #1: Do it yourself.
Even though I have no mechanical experiance or know-how I wish I had taken the time to do a lot of the work myself. It probably would have taken me 4 times longer to do it, but I would I have saved thousands of green backs. Not to mention the feeling of pride and accomploishment of being able to say "Yeah, I did that."

Lesson #2: Let the engine cool down before you start playing with it.

Dumb ass!

Lesson #3: Holley electric fuel pumps need to be mounted close to, and under the fuel tank. I mounted mine on the wall under the gas tank on the right hand side (in front of the passenger seat). Unfortunately, they are VERY LOUD!!!! Combine this with the new ceramic coated muffler system and it's loud as hell inside the car.

Lesson #4: I love Things. This isn't really a new lesson for me, but I had forgotten how much I love driving it. Combined with the knowledge that at any second some 33 year old part might fail adds a whole new dimension to getting around. "Will I reach my destination alive?" I don't know, but it sure is a hoot trying to get there!

iltis74 Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:33 am

A 2110 with dual Kadrons has no need of an electric pump. If you don't want the noise of it just go back to the stock mechanical, it is way more than enough. You can still use your regulator and gauges, which look very good. I can not tell from your pictures in the gallery, but is the Holley mounted with rubber foot pads? If not they can only help. Also, it seems I may have to mention, make sure the fuel line is crimped off ahead of the fuel pump before attempting removal! Don't need to learn that lesson the hard way.

Woreign Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:53 pm

Welcome to the world of Things and ACVWs! If you ever have a problem, the friendly folks here at the Samba can give you a hand. Think of us a "collective mechanic". Don't forget to visit the "Beetle Late Model/Super" forum too. They have a lot in common with our Things...

Like you said, "at any second some 33 year old part might fail"... Don't worry, you'll have plenty of more chances to develop your mechanical skills.

Fun 181 Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:34 pm

Thanks guys!

I had read an earlier post about mounting the fuel pump to a VW Rabbit radiator mount to keep it quiet. I have to admit that all that noise is making me think about going back to a stock pump.

gus111 Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:16 am

If you can go back to the original F/P, I think would be less trouble then the electric F/P.
The rubber mtg will make it a lot less noisey. I did that to one of my beetles. The only reason I have the electric F/P in, is that it is an old F/I engine with no place for a mechanincal F/P.