TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: why is this buggy not selling?
MURZI Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:22 pm

Have any of you looked at this buggy in the classifieds? It looks way nice for 5200. What gives? Is the market going soft on these cars?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=415740

vwracerdave Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:22 pm

$5200 is a little high with only a stock 1600.

Another thing I personally can't stand is the term "Manx clone". If it is not a real Manx, then don't use the word. Just call it a Dunebuggy.

engineerorange Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:23 pm

Now who would want to buy a finished, ready to drive buggy? You miss all the fun of driving all over the country buying parts, calling the left coast to yell at people who never heard the words customer service because your big box-o-parts finally came in 2 weeks late and is one spindle shy of complete, all the nights in the garage bonding with your tools, etc, etc.
Seriously, isn't all the fun in the build??? It is for me.

Endoboy Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:40 pm

I think it also matters just what the "clone" is. If it's a mint EMPI Imp or maybe an east coast Dearborn Deserter (I'm biased) or some other, well-known, limited production body, then it might well sell for more, even with a 1600 in it. It did have some issues, too, that needed fixing.

It seems like people either want turnkey or they want a deal. If you're in-between, you get screwed when you sell. Close, but no cigar.

Mark

90volts Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:31 am

other than the back due registration which he should pay off first, seems good to me. too bad its in calif where guys have their choice of hundreds of buggys :lol:

i would have jumped on that if it had been in this area 3 years ago.
just need to get the right buyer, thats all.

72lowridebuggy Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:59 am

This buggy is listed in my area for $6000 Canadian ($5300 USD). The pic is not the best, but the buggy looks nice. 1600dp engine. It is only an hour outside of Buffalo.

SiggyManx#33 Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:04 am

I agree with 90Volts, the fact that the the regisration is back "something like 190 bucks." is a red flag for me that I wouldn't want to deal with.

Those registration things never go as easy as you might think.

Endoboy Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:00 am

Registration is rarely the problem in CA. If it's not titled, now that's another story. But, once you're in, you're in. :roll:

90Volt, you're right on about the variety of choices out here. You sure wouldn't want to be in a hurry to sell like this guy obviously is. He ought to just finish the thing, drive it around some wealthy neighborhoods and downtown areas, then throw it back up for sale for more, and sit on it.

Mark

247vws Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:54 pm

It's a Sand Rover.
Joe PotyWest Coast production being in California most likely.
1968-1970 body. I would check the firewall for the ID plate above the fuse box.

Now it's worth more.
Problem with California is there is a big supply.
I woul dlove to take our dealership car hauler and go get a dozen, and bring them back.

John