TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Alternator Wiring Setup (New Engine Pics)
LUNATIK Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:17 pm

Hi
Probably this question has been asked before, but I was looking trough the posts and I couldn't find any information about the wiring setup when we change the generator with external regulator to an alternator. I just received my engine for my Thing and I'm in the proces to install it but I just got to the stoping point on how to fix the engine wiring setup to accept the alternator.
Any info and also any picture of the setup will be great.

Thanks
Uray
Here is a pic of the engine, tomorow I will be posting video when we start this beast.

LUNATIK Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:24 pm

Here is another shot, this is a very sad picture for the OG engine.

Uray

Ian Epperson Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:39 pm

Beautiful looking engine! Looks like you've got a lot of work into it and your car to get it all together.

The alternator wiring is pretty darn simple. It has two posts, one goes to the battery (heavy cable, bolt on connection) and the other goes to the warning light on your dashboard.

So, the wire hooked up to terminal 61 on the regulator is the dashboard warning light, and the wire hooked up to B+ is the battery cable. The rest of the wires serve no more purpose - there's 3 between the generator and regulator (D+ D- and DF) and one going to the testing socket at the rear decklid. When I did the swap, I cut back the harness to remove the three between the gen and the regulator, then re-routed the two I needed to the alternator.

That's some minor work compared to the rest of your project! I'm guessing you've got to slice up some of the rear body to get that turbine to fit. Also, beefing up the engine/tranny mounts and delivering enough fuel - I'm amazed how much work goes into a "turn key" performance engine.

LUNATIK Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:24 am

Thanks Ian
For the information and the complement.
The engine was build by John at DSS Performance in Ca, I was there on Tuesday picking up the engine, I spent the entire day in their shop having fun and looking at their work, very impressive. I was thinking about going with Type IV like yours, I really like your Type IV setup, but what it kills me is the waiting period to get one. :D This engine was build for daily driving and highway use than for drag, it made over 220hp at less of 4400 RPM @ 8psi of boost on pump gas.
Today I was trying to install the 3/8" fuel line that is require to feed the carbs, it's amayzing the amount of fuel that will run through that line. Tomorrow I will know how much I had to trim to get the turbine to clear the body. :( And driving it for first time.
Tranny and suspension job has to wait until I move to Florida next week. I will be driving the Thing with this engine from NM to Fl almost 2,000 miles in 2 days, that will be a good test to see how it's perform. :) :) I will going to get as many information about the whole performance of the car with the engine for those 2 days.

Regards
Uray

Ian Epperson Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:10 am

urayohan wrote: I will be driving the Thing with this engine from NM to Fl almost 2,000 miles in 2 days, that will be a good test to see how it's perform. :) :)

With the right tranny, you should be able to shave a bit off that time :lol:

That's a lot of twist you got there!

The work to get it running is driving me nuts! I just want to GO ;) I'm envious that you'll be driving it, and I'm still wrenching...

Last week, I picked up 10' of 3/8" aluminum line from OSH. My old line isn't simply slipping out, so it's going to get tricky. I'm thinking of punching some small holes in the tunnel to slip some supports through to prevent it from bouncing around.

LUNATIK Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:13 am

[/quote]

With the right tranny, you should be able to shave a bit off that time :lol:

That's a lot of twist you got there!

The work to get it running is driving me nuts! I just want to GO ;) I'm envious that you'll be driving it, and I'm still wrenching...

Last week, I picked up 10' of 3/8" aluminum line from OSH. My old line isn't simply slipping out, so it's going to get tricky. I'm thinking of punching some small holes in the tunnel to slip some supports through to prevent it from bouncing around.[/quote]

I ran the fuel 3/8" fuel line through the inside of the car, passing through the pasanger side, I past the firewall right on top of the back engine tin, in that way I have the connection for the fuel line in the engine compartment with a manual shut off valve in that way I can take the engine down exposing the line and remove it safely,and works as an anti-theft device. When I get settle in my new place I was planning in redoing the fuel line through the tunnel but with some AN fitting welded to the tunnel front and back for fuel line and return.

Regards,
Uray

LUNATIK Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Who said that Things cannot be fast. :D

Hopefuly by tomorrow the whole engine will be assemble.

Regards[/img]

LUNATIK Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:17 pm

Ian Epperson wrote: Beautiful looking engine! Looks like you've got a lot of work into it and your car to get it all together.

The alternator wiring is pretty darn simple. It has two posts, one goes to the battery (heavy cable, bolt on connection) and the other goes to the warning light on your dashboard.

So, the wire hooked up to terminal 61 on the regulator is the dashboard warning light, and the wire hooked up to B+ is the battery cable. The rest of the wires serve no more purpose - there's 3 between the generator and regulator (D+ D- and DF) and one going to the testing socket at the rear decklid. When I did the swap, I cut back the harness to remove the three between the gen and the regulator, then re-routed the two I needed to the alternator.

Thanks Ian,
The electrical system is working like a dream.

Regards
That's some minor work compared to the rest of your project! I'm guessing you've got to slice up some of the rear body to get that turbine to fit. Also, beefing up the engine/tranny mounts and delivering enough fuel - I'm amazed how much work goes into a "turn key" performance engine.

LUNATIK Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:17 pm

Ian Epperson wrote: Beautiful looking engine! Looks like you've got a lot of work into it and your car to get it all together.

Thanks Ian,
The electrical system is working like a dream.

Regards