TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: No Thing for me... : (
AndrewChar Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:54 pm

I am a huge fan of the VW Thing. Recently, I was looking into purchasing one when I ran into financial difficulties. Things are just too expensive for me. I am still in the market for a project car, and would like one that is similar to the 181 , any advice?

Ferretkona Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:13 pm

AndrewChar wrote: ,,,I am still in the market for a project car, and would like one that is similar to the 181 , any advice?

I would hold out and save for a 181, just my 2 cents.

Towel Rail Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:22 pm

Even if you have the bare minimum to purchase one, I wouldn't buy one if you're in financial trouble. You'll need to fix stuff right away, and old cars have a way of costing much more to maintain than you expected...

kubelmann Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:52 pm

Any person who has any money troubles has no business even thinking about purchasing a VW Thing. The VW Thing is one of the best poor man's classic cars in the world. But if you have ANY money troubles why would you consider owning a substitute for a mental health care giver. Being dead broke is therapy enough. If you really want to own a very cool Thing. Get $10k together and call me and you can talk to me about having one of mine. NO SHIT> get a grip.......

glust Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:56 am

Keep your eyes open for one. I found one in ohio with a new top, new seat covers, duck boards, etc. working heater, no windshield, complete otherwise. No motor, Ready for paint. Just a few pan issues. I traded him a 10 year old Yamaha blaster for it. The quad was kelly blue booked for about $500.00. They are out there and when the karma is right, the deal will be struck... Good Luck...

Captain Spalding Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:55 pm

Towel Rail wrote: Even if you have the bare minimum to purchase one, I wouldn't buy one if you're in financial trouble. You'll need to fix stuff right away, and old cars have a way of costing much more to maintain than you expected...

+1 on that. "Financial difficulties" and "project car" don't go together at all. I would avoid the whole project car concept altogether until you get your cash flow sitch sorted out. Then go for the Thing. :D

Ian Epperson Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:54 pm

Captain Spalding wrote: I would avoid the whole project car concept altogether until you get your cash flow sitch sorted out. Then go for the Thing. :D

...AND you have a space to work on it. Garage tents suck! Next house we buy WILL have a garage.

LUNATIK Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:23 pm

I am very happy knowing that you like Things, and hopefully you'll be able to own one. When you do find one, fix it sick. But Things are unque vehicles and not too many were made, thats make it more dificult to find parts and when you find them are not cheap. Because is imposible to mass produce something that will not sell at the same quantity produced. I just read a post about a wishield seal, that's will give you an idea of the price of buying a Thing as a project car. And all of us in this forum know the value of parts, take their advice and while you are working with your financial situation, try to save for a good Thing. Keep your eye open, always a good deal comes around. Good luck

Regards