TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Steering Coupler, is it worth replacing?
FreakCitySF Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:36 am

While i was replacing my master cylinder, which worked out perfectly with everyones help on here, (thanks) I noticed the steering coupler, round rubber peice with holes in it was cracked up. Is it worth replacing? If it's not replaced?

thanks again

uberautowerks Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:04 am

Replace, please!
-If it rips through, you can't steer, at least not well! Bad on the hi-way or trail.
-Stay away from urethane, go stock rubber. The stocker has a cloth layer in the middle to help prevent catastrophic failure, the urethane unit is just urethane, no back-up, and I've seen them tear!

kubelmann Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:31 pm

Remember to be careful witht he ground strap when you replace this part. If it is not installed you will not have a horn.

Karmann Paul Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:46 pm

I was going to post a question but I think this might be a similar thread - I have a 1972 ghia, Steering wheel "slips" when going around a sharp turn or when turning the wheel to get in or out when parallel parking. I was thinking that the aftermarket Grant steering wheel or steering column where it mounts might be stripped but now am thinking, after talking to a local VW guy, that it could be the steering coupler or something else in the steering column. If so, is this hard to fix/replace for a novice? I welcome your seggestions!

Fun 181 Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:06 pm

If the coupler is worn replace it right away. It's not worth taking chances with your steering.

Replacing the steering coupler is pretty easy. Pull the gas tank for gain easy access - I know that's obvious, but I thought I'd mention it.

I used a red urethane coupler. Out of the package I noticed hairline cracks in the urethane. I also noticed the same fracture lines in my urethane transaxle mounts. I've been told this is typical for urethane components.

If I had to do it again I think I would go with a high quality German rubber coupler. They cost a few dollars more than the cheap rubber ones and even urethane ones, but... "safety first". The good ones run about $9 or $10 bucks.

While I was at it I also replaced my steering box, ground cable and the upper and lower steering box coupler flange.

emersonbiggins Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:09 pm

Karmann Paul wrote: I was going to post a question but I think this might be a similar thread - I have a 1972 ghia, Steering wheel "slips" when going around a sharp turn or when turning the wheel to get in or out when parallel parking. I was thinking that the aftermarket Grant steering wheel or steering column where it mounts might be stripped but now am thinking, after talking to a local VW guy, that it could be the steering coupler or something else in the steering column. If so, is this hard to fix/replace for a novice? I welcome your seggestions!

That sounds like the steering wheel stripped. If the coupler was bad you would have a problem ALL the time.