TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fixing up a Thing
Kherome Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:22 pm

I've had my Thing now for about a year and I've been (financially) unable to do much with it in the past year. Now I should be able to get it done. It's a 74 Acapulco with some issues, BAD pans, no back seat, some rust through spots (rockers, engine compartment.). Someone painted it blue :cry: , and it needs some seals for the doors, etc. It runs great though.

I read the thread with the issues of Things Unlimited, so I know not to order parts there, but where is a good (safe) place to order parts from?

Ian Epperson Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:35 pm

For Thing parts, I order from The Thing Shop or German Motor Works.

For non Thing-only-parts, I try and buy from my local VW store or CIP if I REALLY know it's OK. (CIP tends to be the K-mart of VW parts - they've got a bunch of stuff cheap, but may not be the right thing or the best quality - know what you're getting)

misterkey Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:42 pm

I have had very good luck with parts from the Thing Shop

kuebelwagen84 Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:43 pm

Mid America Motor works would be good to look into too, www.mamotorworks.com

their floor pans are cheaper than gmw and tts and they have a much larger stock of parts (though it's mostly bug and ghia, you'll have to know what's compatible with what)

kubelmann Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:26 pm

Mid amerika Motor Jerks makes CIP seem like downtown Berlin in 1964.

lewis71bug Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:40 pm

I've had very good dealings with the the thing shop as well. Everything I've purchased from (new top frame, new top, side curtains, some body parts, other stuff) has so far been excellent quality, but pricey. There phone support is top notch.

I also like wolfsburg west for non-thing only parts. Excellent quality parts.

Wayne

kubelmann Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:44 pm

Correct. If you "like" the Thing shop you will "love" German Motor Works talk to Arda and you will think you are in VW heaven..

uberautowerks Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:42 pm

-Just do some research first, here (Samba) or the various Internet holes to make sure that your "Thing only" part is really Thing only. Example... Some retailers will sell you a "Thing only" headlight switch, at a premium, knowing full well that it's a basic Bus switch!
--Now don't get me wrong the folks at German Motor and The Thing Shop are very nice, even easy to deal with. But, they had better be for the premiums they charge.
---So who to buy from... I will always say your local VW shop, but I'm biased because the Internet giants are killing us local shops. If you must shop Internet I recommend "OE Vee Dub", Richard is the best and VERY honest.
----Also Kubelmann and myself have access to parts, and knowledge to spare!!!
See ya 'round...
Eric @ Über Auto Werks

kubelmann Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:02 pm

Exactly... If you want to get the good stuff you will never get better than Oe Vee Dub. The universe has never created a better source or a better person than Rich Davies. Eric will also treat you better than you are used to being treated. We are all Colorado locals that have resources that you will not find on www.buytheunknownpart.uh~oh

kuebelwagen84 Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:20 am

kubelmann wrote: Mid amerika Motor Jerks makes CIP seem like downtown Berlin in 1964.

I haven't had any problems, should I be concerned?

I usually use GMW and The Thing Shop (I actually just ordered new drums from them), but for the generic VW stuff, or floorpans like I mentioned before, they're easier on the pockets

LUNATIK Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:31 am

Ian Epperson wrote: For Thing parts, I order from The Thing Shop or German Motor Works.

For non Thing-only-parts, I try and buy from my local VW store or CIP if I REALLY know it's OK. (CIP tends to be the K-mart of VW parts - they've got a bunch of stuff cheap, but may not be the right thing or the best quality - know what you're getting)

X2
I have ordered from The Thing Shop with very impressive results and also from Grerman Motor Works.

Regards