TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: fan shroud cooling flaps question
lewis71bug Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:09 pm

Neither my Thing or my 71 super beetle have the flaps in the shroud or the thermostat. I've pieced together from various sources two sets of the flaps, the linkage, thermostats, thermostat holders, and the rods from the thermostats to the flaps. I've sanded off all the rust and painted all the parts that can be. I've tested the thermostats with hot water.

I've never actually seen the flaps/thermostat installed on a car before (seems most don't have them). Can someone post some pictures of how it all goes together and where everything is under the engine?

Also, I'm missing several of the clips that hold the linkage on the flaps. Where can I find those? Any chance my FLAPS would have something that would work? Would a spring clip (like the one that holds the speedo cable) work (bigger, of course)?

Is there just one spring that goes from the linkage arm on the flaps to the shroud, or are there more springs that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Wayne

Glenn Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:26 pm

kubelmann Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:06 pm

awesome post Glenn... great pictures.. The clips are not a c-clip but a fold over. I have some...

lewis71bug Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:31 pm

Glenn (or anyone that knows) -

I'm trying to put it all back together now. I have the flaps in the shroud and the shroud slipped into position. The vent piece that slips through the firewall and connects with the single screw to the front of the shroud (front is front), it catches the arm that controls the flaps on the left hand side. I hope that makes sense.

If you look at your last picture, the right hand side of that picture at the bottom, the piece that would come through the firewall for venting and has the rubber around the top lip and the separate piece of the dog house cover slips over it. That piece is binding up against the flap lever on that side. Do you have picture or description of how it's supposed to be positioned properly?

Thanks,

Wayne

Glenn Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:13 am

It should clear. Maybe it needs a bit of persuasion to make it fit and operate correctly.