TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: IRS coil over conversion
Rbake Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:49 am

I'm looking at trying to convert the rear on my IRS pan to a coilover setup. Not for offroad, but lowered pretty low for the street. Anyone done this?

I'm thinking that if I buy the replacement torsion tube caps w/the heim joint then just buy some shorter adjustable coilover shocks it would be pretty easy.

It would also take all the guess work out of getting the rear lowered and level. I would just have to adjust the coilovers.

Rbake Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:15 pm

eagleperformance.com

has what I'm talking about. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried them in a lowered application. How low can you make the empi vw/coilovers go?

HamburgerBrad Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:34 pm

those cheap coilovers aren't what youre looking for. all that does is add a bit to the stock torsion bars. if you plan on using the heim conversion, you will need to go with a real coil-over or an airbag suspension

rterfert Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:18 pm

real coil-over or an airbag suspension
Real Coil Over shocks are generally for more travel.
Air bags are what most use for a lowered ride height.

HamburgerBrad Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:46 pm

rterfert wrote: real coil-over or an airbag suspension
Real Coil Over shocks are generally for more travel.
Air bags are what most use for a lowered ride height.
Rbake wrote: I'm looking at trying to convert the rear on my IRS pan to a coilover setup. Not for offroad, but lowered pretty low for the street. Anyone done this?

Rbake Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:06 pm

I have a set of adjustable hot rod or 4 link style coil overs, but they are too wide to fit down in the rear shock mount enough to work. That's why I like the cheap empi ones. If not, I would have to weld new mounts on the swing arms.

Rbake Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:11 pm

I have a set of adjustable hot rod or 4 link style coil overs, but they are too wide to fit down in the rear shock mount enough to work. That's why I like the cheap empi ones. If not, I would have to weld new mounts on the swing arms.

HamburgerBrad Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:11 pm

nothing is ever as easy as it seems. if you want to use those coilovers, you'll have to custom fabricate the lower mounts