TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Headlight wiring question
fisheye Thu May 03, 2007 1:28 pm

How can I wire the high and low beams to be on at the same time? I currently have mine wired to work as originally designed. I assume that I would bond a couple wires together but don't know which ones.

uberautowerks Thu May 03, 2007 2:25 pm

First... Why? As in tell me what you are trying to achieve.
Second... You'll need to install a relay or two for this. Or you could ignite your headlight switch or existing relay.

glutamodo Thu May 03, 2007 2:38 pm

I'm not sure if running them both at the same time is a good idea - I think the two filaments burning next to each other like that would cause excessive heat and could kill the bulbs rather quickly. Also I'm not sure if the hi/low beam relay and headlight switch might get a bit hot due to passing more current than they were intended.

However, if you really wanted to run try this, I'd bypass the hi/low relay and replace it with a normal on/off high power relay instead. Using the red wire (terminal 30)from the currently relay for power supply, the white w/black-stripe (56)wire as the trigger, and hook the yellow and white wires (56a and 56b) at the power outputs

Look at current tracks 6-9 on this diagram:

http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/181_from_August_1973-1.jpg

fisheye Thu May 03, 2007 3:15 pm

Thanks! Maybe I should just leave it as is. I was looking for a way to may my lights brighter.

Semper_Dad Thu May 03, 2007 3:41 pm

fisheye wrote: Thanks! Maybe I should just leave it as is. I was looking for a way to may my lights brighter.

Go with Hella Halogen upgrades

Captain Spalding Thu May 03, 2007 6:07 pm

Wannahave wrote: Go with Hella Halogen upgrades

+1 on the Hella upgrade. Also, are you running an alternator or a generator?

fisheye Fri May 04, 2007 11:11 am

Generator...

Captain Spalding Fri May 04, 2007 12:08 pm

fisheye wrote: Generator...

Well, if you haven't read Ian's notes on the relative benefits of alternator and generator, you might consider checking it out here. I think the first, best thing you can do to make your lights brighter is do an alternator conversion.

Other things that have been mentioned:
New headlights or bulb (over time soot can collect in the bulb, making it dimmer.)
Freshen up wiring.
Wire in a headlight relay.