TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Convertible Specialties side curtain kits
nwflvw Sun May 06, 2007 5:03 pm

Anyone have any experience with the side curtain kits that Convertible Specialties has listed on eBay?

eBay Motors: VW THING SIDE CURTAINS -NEW (item 260114231161 end time May-09-07 16:27:15 PDT)

I have a friend that needs curtains but can't afford the $600 plus for the GMW or Thing Shop ones.

Thanks for your help. Vince

Ferretkona Sun May 06, 2007 6:55 pm

I have them, their shop is a few miles away.
For the price not bad. You have to cut the old material away and the new fastens with velcro. The windows do not open well, but they are easy to pull off and put in the trunk.

wa6usa Mon May 07, 2007 12:18 am

I got them, they were easy to install, however removing the old windows from the frames takes a long time. The small vent windows on the fronts are a nice feature. Worth the money IMHO.

sam_w Mon May 07, 2007 6:31 am

I bought a set from them before my fire at the end of July last year. I am having problems getting the rivets out of the old frames. Any suggestions?

nwflvw Mon May 07, 2007 8:12 pm

I used to grind the head of the rivets off and then use a small punch to drive the rivet out of the foot. It wasn't an easy job for sure.
Do you have to get the rivets out to install this window kit? Thanks. Vince

Ferretkona Mon May 07, 2007 8:29 pm

wa6usa wrote: ,,,,The small vent windows on the fronts are a nice feature. Worth the money IMHO.

The small vent windows are a poor copy of the original windows. They fold in instead of out and are not smooth. They actually hang up on the frame when you open them.
My biggest complaint is that the windows do not lay flat. The whole velcro system makes a very loose window. I offered to leave my frames with them to be sewn on, but they declined. It was easier to sew me up a set??

We went with StaFast instead of vinyl. The top is a 11 out of 10 for fit and quality. I would give the windows a 6 of 10. We made a cash deal for $300/300 for the top/windows.

nwflvw Tue May 08, 2007 7:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback and pictures. I think I will investigate other options. Vince