TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I just bought my first Thing part...
dr.ona Thu May 17, 2007 5:22 pm

Yep...hopefully this won't be the bottomless pit of buying stuff :)
I bought the stainless steel doorhinges with the mirror mounts. I bought my Thing last week for $2000...drove it home even! I think it needs brakes or bearings cause it was NOISY!

Robert

kubelmann Thu May 17, 2007 5:30 pm

A Thing that you bought for $2000 and drove home is a good experience.

There is a long list of things that can cause the noise. Start at the first step and make the noise go away. Proper brake adjustment, insure that the front bearings are at the proper tightness and so on.

ztnoo Thu May 17, 2007 5:38 pm

Quote: hopefully this won't be the bottomless pit of buying stuff

My advice is to not hold your breath on that topic for longer than one minute.
:wink:

Captain Spalding Thu May 17, 2007 6:29 pm

dr.ona wrote: Yep...hopefully this won't be the bottomless pit of buying stuff
You bought a 35 year old car for $2k and you hope it won't need much? :roll:

bmwloco Thu May 17, 2007 6:46 pm

Methinks there must have been a crack pipe in the glove box.

Still, spend freely. If you have a $2k Thing that runs, even if you spend $100 or $200 a month, it beats a car payment.

I live in a city were fat and fancy cars freely traverse the roads. If my Thing is parked, it draws attention like flies to an outhouse.

Rev. Scott Thu May 17, 2007 7:59 pm

i bought mine a year plus ago for twenty five and have, in the last four months, spent (unwisely) another fifteen. when i began in dubs, you could drive a bug home for fifty! five hundred if it was straight! im very discouraged by the hoby right now. i dont ride harley's anymore for the same reason...not that your all repressed homosexual doctors and lawyers and dentist, trying to prove a manhood you never had and have by now, well out grown...sorry, i digress. its just getting way too spendy for me. wow, ok, ill log off and go nap now...be better tomorow im sure...dub on!...

dr.ona Fri May 18, 2007 7:43 am

Oh I'm not complaining..this will be my second VW..my others a 1972 Myers Manx. The good news on that was it's all fiberglass. I know how a sometimes people can get nickeled and dimed to death without knowing it. I'm not going to do a restore on this though. I'm just going to enjoy the ride with the top down :)
-R