TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Blinker Question
kerinon Sat May 19, 2007 7:06 pm

It's us again - forgot to mention we have a 74 Thing.

Our blinkers light when activated, but do not blink (don't blink in hazard either). The lights originally didn't work at all so we replaced the relay and now they light but don't blink. The indicator light on the dash does not light either. We verified the bulb does light, but will not work under the dash when the blinker is activated.

Thanks again!!
Keri

Rev. Scott Sat May 19, 2007 9:20 pm

flasher unit?

kerinon Sat May 19, 2007 9:28 pm

What is a flasher unit and where the heck is it??? :shock:

Rev. Scott Sat May 19, 2007 9:36 pm

i'll let somebody else give the exact details, but...its found in the same neighborhood as the relay and is usualy silver in color and cylindrical; about an inch in diameter and maybe three inches long, with three push on prongs on one end...it goes click click click when you hit the winky's...where do your winky wires go to/from?...

kerinon Sat May 19, 2007 9:55 pm

Will have to look again, but I think the only other thing in there was the dimmer relay. Saw the silver cylinder photo online somewhere earlier. Will check that out in the am. Were they installed on both the 73 and 74?

Rev. Scott Sat May 19, 2007 10:01 pm

everything with a winky has a flasher unit!

Rev. Scott Sat May 19, 2007 10:02 pm

dimmer relay?

kerinon Sun May 20, 2007 10:01 am

What does the dimmer relay have to do with the "winky"s?? btw love that winky and thing are in the same sentence!! LOL

Rev. Scott Sun May 20, 2007 7:29 pm

kerinon wrote: Will have to look again, but I think the only other thing in there was the DIMMER RELAY. Saw the silver cylinder photo online somewhere earlier. Will check that out in the am. Were they installed on both the 73 and 74?

you mentioned a dimmer relay...what is a dimmer relay? off topic but i had to ask!

kerinon Sun May 20, 2007 7:58 pm

Thought I saw a dimmer relay black box-ish type thing in the wiring diagram and under the dash when we were lookin for the blinker relay - definitely could be mistaken. Only been an owner for a week!!! :lol:

kubelmann Sun May 20, 2007 8:35 pm

y'all need the RoMTOC (Rocky Mountain Thing Owner's Club) Thing Data CD.

Now in its 5th edition. 617 megs of the most comprehensive Thing data. All of your questions answered and more. Volumes of photos of Thing parts clearly labeled and painstakingly organized. Not to mention all of factory manuals, parts diagrams and more.. $13 via paypal to [email protected] get a CD shipped right out. In the Thing communityit is the definative source. Constantly upgraded and updated based on the passion and contributions of Thing owners worldwide. It is the lowest cost Thing data support available.

miscreantgnomie Sun May 20, 2007 10:07 pm

I was just in there on my 73 thing

On left side where the headlight switch is at top take out that screw.

Fold the deck down look in there are 2 relay things the left one is the headlight relay to the right of that is the flasher unit

if you arent sure what is what easy way to tell is the headlight one has thick yellow and white wires coming off of it that go to the fuse box

Hope this helps

Dave

kubelmann Sun May 20, 2007 10:14 pm

Most of the time it is a bad ground (brown wire (TUV standard) on all German cars. Second issue on Things turns out to be the wiper switch, turn signal switch or the worst offender is the 4 way flasher switch as all power routes though this switch. 30+ years later ground wires and various switches have taken a well earned vacation. Then after you take it all apart and get into years of resto, stuff that used to work just dies, especially when stuff gets connected to various wrong spots.. One little mistake....