TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Clutch problem
vmx12vmx12vmx12 Sat May 19, 2007 7:17 pm

I just installed my pedal assembly today and my motor a couple months ago....the clutch it seems will never disengage the motor from the trans...I adjused it with slack and re-adjusted it the butterfly about an unvh on the thread...close to the end. I knoe last year it all worked fine, and I never took the clutch out of the car...is there something I could have done wrong installing the motor? Or is there an adjustment I can make to the clutch itself???????????

my dealine awaits.

Towel Rail Sat May 19, 2007 7:26 pm

What's your clutch pedal freeplay? Should be 3/8"-3/4".

vmx12vmx12vmx12 Sat May 19, 2007 7:32 pm

I had about 1 inch and I tightened it and loosesed it...nothing seems to make any difference....

vmx12vmx12vmx12 Sat May 19, 2007 9:06 pm

LOL, I am very tired...I re-read my post and it looks as though I failed grade 4 english..I'll try again...

I just installed my pedal assembly today and my motor a couple months ago....the clutch it seems will never disengage the motor from the trans, althought the shifter works with engine off...I adjusted the freeplay....there is good resistance on the pedal. I know last year it all worked fine, and I never took the clutch off the flywheel...is there something I could have done wrong installing the motor? Or is there an adjustment I can make to the clutch itself???????????

suntour Sat May 19, 2007 9:46 pm

Have someone press the clutch petal down while you’re under the car and see how far the cable moves. If it looks fine or looks like it moves and inch or so and no amount of adjustment to the cable fixes your problem I would consider pulling the engine and having a look. Sometimes the factory spot welds on the throw-out fork break. If one or both spot welds break your throw-out bearing will not fully disengage the pressure plate.

(I hope that makes sense.)

Towel Rail Sat May 19, 2007 9:56 pm

While we're on the topic, do any of you guys use the "heavy duty" cross-shafts?

TimGud Sun May 20, 2007 7:58 am

The cable may have come off the hook when you installed the pedal assembly.

vmx12vmx12vmx12 Sun May 20, 2007 8:48 am

had my darlin wife press the clutch down while I was under the car...I get over an inch of movement at the 'clutch arm where the buterfly adjustment nut is.

vmx12vmx12vmx12 Sun May 20, 2007 5:02 pm

everything checks out outside the bellhousing...i'm getting about an inch to 1.5 inches of movement at thre adjuster.... I even put a large nut on before the wingnut to give it that much more....still nothing...Do I pull the motor now? and look for what? Nothing was touched since it last worked...could I have eukred it when installing the motor?

Ray Syverson Sat May 26, 2007 8:05 am

How long was your engine sitting out of the car with the clutch attached ?Your clutch disc may have slightly bonded itself to the flywheel and now it wont disengage.This happened to me.I took the engine out to replace the clutch in the fall.The engine sat till spring with a new clutch on it before I put it back in the car. The clutch would not release.Took the engine out. The clutch disc was stuck onto the flywheel.You can try rocking the Thing with the shifter in neutral to break the bond if this is the problem.
Its been a few days since your posting so perhaps you've found the problem by now. If not I hope this helps. Ray.

markie61 Sat May 26, 2007 9:36 am

Towel Rail wrote: While we're on the topic, do any of you guys use the "heavy duty" cross-shafts?

Yes. Got one with the red urethane busings from CIP. But the bushing was so tight, it wouldn't release the arm, so I reintalled the old bushings. Worked great.
Mark