TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Empi licence plate frames
oldvdubs Sat May 26, 2007 9:24 am

Hey does anyone recognize these licence plate frames they are some I found and am debating on whether to put them on a bug or not they say USA accross the top and have a orange strip accross the bottom with a EMPI insignia in the middle they are faded but strait if anyone knows anything about them let me know
-thanks cody

oldvdubs Sat May 26, 2007 9:26 am

here is a link to the frame pics

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=354225

-thanks cody

gimmehead Sat May 26, 2007 1:58 pm

i think that is 2 rear empi frames. the one that is ran on the front is backwards from that one meaning the top of that one would be on the bottom & the bottom of that one would be on the top. hope this helps.

restojohnny Sat May 26, 2007 2:48 pm

If they are original's they are/should be a 2 peice frame with the globe being a separate peice and held onto the frame via speednuts on the backside of the frame. If it is a single peice frame then it is a repop.

gimmehead Sat May 26, 2007 3:18 pm

restojohnny wrote: If they are original's they are/should be a 2 peice frame with the globe being a separate peice and held onto the frame via speednuts on the backside of the frame. If it is a single peice frame then it is a repop.

what up johnny? here is the empi guy himself. if this guy cant answer it then nobody will.

6Kabrio7 Sun May 27, 2007 12:07 am

I have a repro one on my rear plate..I like it a lot actually it brightened my old bug up

Jos.Hall Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:07 pm

Johnny if you don't mind, could you post a picture of the backside of the globe frames. The other question for ya is... are there multiple versions of the repop? or better question is multiple production periods of the repop? What I'd like to find out after seeing the picture of the backside is....

1. When was the original produced. (I can check my empi catalogs but I believe my last catalog is the '73 so it could've been after that.

2. When did they start repoping them. I've seen some that look like old repops with enamel paint.

3. When was the more recent repops.

FWIW, I hate it when these companies (by companies, I mean Empi) starts repoping everything (especially wheels) and making what once was cool and rare, now all of a sudden common.

RareAir Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:15 pm

If the "EMPI globe" is removable, it's a genuine '70s frame. Here's a front & rear frame

Jos.Hall Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:23 pm

RareAir wrote: If the "EMPI globe" is removable, it's a genuine '70s frame. Here's a front & rear frame

Glenn, are the globes the same for the front and the back or are the pegs positioned differently?

restojohnny Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:43 am

They are different. Front frame has the pegs on the bottom and Rear are on top

Jos.Hall Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:02 pm

restojohnny wrote: They are different. Front frame has the pegs on the bottom and Rear are on top

Thank you Johnny. Do you have one for the rear you’d sell?

restojohnny Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:31 pm

Sold all of them except A pair that’s in my collection