TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 6 volt to 12 volt? Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
poserbmx Sat May 26, 2007 5:22 pm

i am going to switch to 12 volt on my 64 beetle, i was asking if i have a 68 ca i just switch all my parts over for the conversion? if not what do i need?

PaintingWithPressure Sat May 26, 2007 5:44 pm

i have been wanting to do mine also, and so far i know you have to get a 12V wireing harnest , and then switch all your blubs to 12 volt, windshield wiper motors need to be switched to 12V, and relay switches, and i think sensors. But ill keep my eye on this thread to see if i missed anything.

volkswagenut Sat May 26, 2007 5:54 pm

No need to change the wiring harness. You need to change all bulbs(head lights) , starter , coil , anything electrical . the wiper motor you can either run a reducer or get a new rewound spool for 12V from WW. The flywheel has to be a 12v and tranny needs to be ground to clearence it. Also need a new generator or alt.

poserbmx Sun May 27, 2007 12:00 pm

ok so i have pretty much everything i need out of my 68 to swap into my 64. the main reason for this is that my engine was origanaly a fuel injected model, i put a 12v electric fuelpump in and am running carbs. this is the engine i will put into the 64

volkswagenut Sun May 27, 2007 12:34 pm

Ya sounds like it , you can use the flywheel , starter , dont forget the bushing. headlights , etc.

ivsamhell Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:06 pm

any pics on wiring up the 12v gen/reg with the 6v harness?

volkswagenut Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:06 pm

another link to 6v 12v wiper ?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229406

volkswagenut Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:01 pm

12v regulator diagram

[/quote]

volkswagenut Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:03 pm

12V alt. diagram

volkswagenut Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:51 pm

Thought this might help seen in another thread.

Polarizing generators

glutamodo wrote: To polarize, you disconnect the wires that go between the regulator and the generator. Take off the fan belt. Then you take the hot wire (B+) and connect it to the D+ post on the generator, then connect the DF stud to ground. Your generator is now wired as a motor and will start to spin. It should spin fairly rapidly in the same direction as the engine goes. If it does not go in the correct direction, or just sits there sort of undecided, then you need grab the pulley to "help" it along until it does. You only need to let it "motor" like that for a few seconds - that's all it will need to build up the correct residual magnetism. Then hook up the regulator correctly and put the fan belt on. Done!

FYI - Here is a good web page about generators:

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/gen.htm

volkswagenut Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:17 am

Link to Motorola alt. diagram
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/altreg.gif

vwluvrs Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:04 pm

How I converted Alfie to 12 volt
Bought a new wiring harness (49 years old, ya know)
All New 12 volt bulbs (Halogen headligts I CAN SEE!)
Bought the new 12 volt wiper motor armature (bus boys)
Bought and had rebuilt an old small diameter porsche generator (12 volt, sits on the generator stand, no modifications)
Mounted new 12 volt regulator on fire wall, passenger side of motor
oh yeah, new 12 volt battery
Added a third brake light, using a VW backup light, with LED red bulb
Kept 6 volt starter, spins fast, starts faster!

See photos <HERE>
Works like a champ.

bob walsh Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:55 pm

One problem with using 6Vstarter on 12 system. It will slam into the flywheel very hard. Eventually, this may cause a problem. it's a fairly long eventually, but the likelyhood is there. If you are using a hard start relay don't forget to change that or it will fry.

vwluvrs Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:16 pm

My first 12 volt conversion, done in 80's, the starter lasted at least 10 years, before I sold the car. So final outcome unknown
I trust the old vw starter to give me lots of years of service, as it spins twice as fast, so starts even quicker. Less wear? Who's to know..
My 2 cents

jake_vw Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:40 pm

it was fairly simple procedure when i switched my 63, heres all i did:
• new 12v battery
• alternator
• new ignition coil
• all new bulbs
• 6 to 12v wiper motor conversion

thats basically all you need, the old 6 volt wires are thicker than the 12 volt wires so theyre keepable. and i personally like running the old starter with the 12 volt juice it cranks over a whole lot faster.

SoLeFooD™ Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:56 am

So if it has the regulator, you're
basically good to go on the 12v thing?

Im more concerned about hooking up
a small 12v stereo in it than anything.
(I need my music).

Russ Wolfe Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:59 pm

The 6V starter will last a long time. If you do a lot os stop and start driving, the flywheel teeth will go before the starter. The last one I did lasted about 7 years. Then I just pulled the engine and put another used 6V flywheel on it. As far as I know, the second flywheel outlasted the rest of the car.

bugjuice82 Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:11 am

This should answer your questions

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/6v_12v.htm

glandnut Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:07 pm

Some particulars not mentioned that I just found out as I'm swapping my 65' with the original 40 horse to 12V.

Use the original 6V fan hub, makes sense since the same fan is going back in the same shroud, the spacing needs to go back like it was. Don't use the 12V hub, it changes the fan depth.

I can't use my 40 horse generator pulley, the belt is out of alignment. I guess I have to use the later 12V pulley that is swept back towards the face of the generator.

You can't use the 6V generator strap, you need the 12V larger one.

Instead of putting the regulator under the rear seat, I took Glutamodo's advice and tapped another 5 X 1.0 hole to mount the regulator on the 12V generator. Wiring doesn't have to be pulled back through the firewall or spliced or cut at all. Looks great!

OldBayAlex Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:41 pm

As you can see it's debatable whether or not to change out the starter, but from what I've heard, if you take it easy when turning the key (ie- don't turn the key any longer than you have to) you can keep the wear in check.