TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Unidentified buggy... Help?? Page: 1, 2  Next
dturnbull Sun May 27, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi all,

I purchased this metal body buggy a few months ago and have been doing a backyard resto on it. It had been unregistered for awhile and was originally registered as a "special Construction" vehicle in 1967. The pan looks to be from somewhere around 60-62 and it has a 1200 for motivation. It's solid, so no problem bringing it back to life, and the guy I bought it from from said there was a manual for it, but he could not find it.

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that might know anything about this "kit" or what it was called or anything.. Thanks for any help!

baja5 Sun May 27, 2007 6:26 pm

Looks to be an Empi sportster.Do a search for that,there are a quite a few web sites with pics and info on them,that will help you figure out if it is an original or a home made copy.

riNR Sun May 27, 2007 7:53 pm

dturnbull wrote: Hi all,

I purchased this metal body buggy a few months ago and have been doing a backyard resto on it.

One question: Why?
Haven't seen one of those on the auction block at Barrett-Jacksons. Am I missing something? :lol:

dturnbull Mon May 28, 2007 5:06 am

riNR wrote: dturnbull wrote: Hi all,

I purchased this metal body buggy a few months ago and have been doing a backyard resto on it.

One question: Why?
Haven't seen one of those on the auction block at Barrett-Jacksons. Am I missing something? :lol:

Why? Hahaha.. Just for fun, that's all. And it's the only thing that will fit in my yard to work on.. It's different, that's for sure.

dturnbull Mon May 28, 2007 5:06 am

baja5 wrote: Looks to be an Empi sportster.Do a search for that,there are a quite a few web sites with pics and info on them,that will help you figure out if it is an original or a home made copy.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

dturnbull Tue May 29, 2007 2:59 am

Well, sure as snot it's a Sportster. I'm sure it was a kit, not a turn-key from Econo, but still a good find. I had no idea, but I'm glad it turned out this way.

The Empi Sportster is the car that started the whole dune buggy/kit car craze in the late 50's and early 60's. We're talking PRE-FIBERGLASS kit vehicles. It is the vehicle that inspired the Meyer's Manx and a whole slew of VW based vehicles to follow. I doubt it's worth a whole lot, but it is of historical significance and therefore, a great deal of sentimental value - too me at least. I was surprised to find quite a bit of info on it on the web. Here's a couple pics and an old ad photo:

Again, thanks for the tip!

Kinda cool, eh?

riNR Tue May 29, 2007 3:52 am

dturnbull wrote:

Kinda cool, eh?

Uhh........how do I say this?.........NO!

Try throwing an LS1 and some 44s on it....that would be cool.

nomis Tue May 29, 2007 5:39 am

well i think it's cool!

I have never seen one on this side of the atlantic though :roll:

Do you have a link for the info site?

riNR Tue May 29, 2007 8:15 am

nomis wrote: well i think it's cool!

Are you a Shriner?

runslikeapenguin Tue May 29, 2007 10:42 am

i would never have paid a grand for that,

but since your into the build you should go long travel

HeadlessChicken Tue May 29, 2007 12:03 pm

Well, it says o.b.o I bet the best offer was 5 bucks. Mabey he topped the high bidder and got it for $10 :D

dturnbull Tue May 29, 2007 3:24 pm

$750.00 actually. Believe it or not these things have sold for 10K! - I've come to find out. And, like it or not, it's very rare. It's actually the cover vehicle on a 1963 issue of Motor Trend. Road & Track featured them in November 1964. And there is an article in the November 2002 issue of VW Trends about them. I found a lot of info at:

http://www.tunacan.net/imp/sportster/index.html

subybaja Tue May 29, 2007 4:20 pm

Awright, give the guy a break! Y'all sound like a bunch of resto-geeks looking at a baja. :roll: Yeah, it's wierd-looking, but it's also cool from a functionality and historic perspective.

TrackerCasey Tue May 29, 2007 4:24 pm

I think it's sweet and will be a fun project!!

HeadlessChicken Tue May 29, 2007 4:57 pm

I wouldn't have bought it (because I have no $) but I think it will be an awsmoe project. Everyone's just jealous.

What are your mod. plans for it? or are you going to do a restoration?

What is the engine trans etc? Is the suspension etc. set up just like a v-dub?

Keep us posted on your progress.........

getrdone Tue May 29, 2007 5:27 pm

I think it's cool. I would make one for the yard. Beats a golf cart. Today's youth thinks it's only cool if you spend 80K and copy the cars in sand magazines. Are you still cool if you put a iron cross on your ride and wear all trendy threads. The whole angry pissed Jesse James look has to be headed out since you can buy it at Wal-Mart!

joescoolcustoms Tue May 29, 2007 9:09 pm

dturnbull
My dad built one of these exact kits back before I was hatched, (65 vintage myself). The ride was long gone before I appeared, but I do have the same copy of motor trend.

If I remember right, one of the buggies in the motor trend had corvair power, I think the blue one, (without digging out the copy).

I also have another mag, cannot remember the name tho, that featured these conversions. The mag is small, about 6 inches by 9 inches and is maybe "small car review" or something like that, but really pushed the VW, volvo, saab, fiat and the like.

Somewhere buried are pictures of my mom and dad in this conversion at a family gathering. I think he sold it about '59 or '60 and the kid that bought it totaled it and was killed in it. Left a bad taste for my father.

Please keep posting pictures of your build, 99% of us want to see it, and see it done!

BTW, if I would have happened by it for $ 750 and was looking for a build project, I would have it now myself.

viperbgy Tue May 29, 2007 9:22 pm

I think they are cool as Hell.... :lol: There is a guy in town here that has one, don't see it very often, it looks like it is in the original condition from when it was built. The wife and I got to check it out up close a couple years ago, it was at a VW show....they are cool little machines, always thought it would make a cool little parts hauler for the shop.... :P

dturnbull Wed May 30, 2007 2:42 am

Thanks for all the support & info guys. I was about ready to paint a couple weeks ago when my compressor pooped out. It should be ready soon. I plan on keeping it's stock configuration and the 1200 motor (as long as it lasts). It's surprisingly solid after 40+ years. Nothing more than a little surface rust in a few places. Everything has been treated prior to priming and sealing.

I got lucky and found the above Motor Trend on Ebay. I also bought a magazine called Science & Mechanics, and another early european VW magazine with articles on it.

I'll post some more pics as things progress and take it to the next Bugarama in Sacramento when it's done..

lostinbaja Wed May 30, 2007 3:29 am

I really like the looks of the Empi Sportster. It looks like you have a nice solid starting point for a restoration. Keep us posted on your progress.
Jerry...