TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Loud screeching noise from my starter?
Fun 181 Tue May 29, 2007 11:51 am

Problem number 2,012...

Now, everytime I turn over the Thing the starter makes a really loud screeching noise. At least I'm pretty sure it's the starter as I can't figure out what else it could be. In any event it doesn't sound good at all! There isn't any hesitation starting the car, and the second the engine turns over the noise stops.

The noise only started about two days ago. Before that there was no noise. The noise happens both when I start up with my foot on the clutch in gear and off the clutch in neutral.

Before this noise issue I have only had a problem starting the car one or two times (not turning over right away), and then I only needed to pump the gas to get it going after about a minute.

The starter is a 12v high-torque starter and it is brand new. I doubt it has been turned over more than 40 times total. The engine, flywheel, transaxle and clutch are also brand new.

I've done a Samba search and read that the starter bushing may need lube? Would this be the case on a brand new starter? If so, what type of lube do I need? Do I need to remove the starter to lube it and check the bushing? I haven't checked the starter for any kind of damage yet (metal shavings, etc.).

Any ideas on this one?
Thanks,
Slim

uberautowerks Tue May 29, 2007 2:04 pm

- Sounds like a bad starter to me! The starter bushing being referred to in not a part of the starter, but a part of the transaxle. I doubt you "Hi-Torque" starter uses this bushing. You see the bushing supports the drive shaft of the starter, most (if not all!!!) other makes of vehicle use a self-supporting shaft. Hell, even the auto stick Beetle used a self-supporting starter.
-- Look for an inch and half or so long shaft to protrude past the starter gear, if you have this feature you may need to lube the bushing. If not return your "Hi Torque starter and get a NEW Bosch starter for an Auto stick, it will have plenty of power!

Fun 181 Tue May 29, 2007 6:30 pm

Sweet Jesus, I can't seem to win even with brand new parts.

By this pic (from the shop where I bought the starter from) it doesn't look like there is a shaft portruding past the starter gear. So, I guess it's not the bushing?

Could there be any other (cheaper/easier) reasons for this screetching noise?

Hopefully I'll be able to get an exchange or credit from the place where I bought it from.[/img]

Fun 181 Wed May 30, 2007 6:58 am

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would a blockage of air at the crank case breather make the engine harder to turn over - thus causing the starter to squeal? I am doubting that it would, but just wanted to ask.

uberautowerks Wed May 30, 2007 2:55 pm

Not a stupid question... however the answer is...
Nope!

Fun 181 Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:24 pm

Update:
Well, I replaced my brand new high-torque starter with a rebuilt Bosch auto-stick starter. I have only turned it over a couple of times, but it seems to work well.

Thanks Uberauto for your help.
Slim

uberautowerks Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:03 pm

Thanks for the thanks :D