TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 74 sb Speedometer Cable replacement
dandhcomputers Tue May 29, 2007 3:44 pm

to replace the Speedometer Cable do i need to remove the gastank and the dash pad ? :oops: :shock:

The Pirate Tue May 29, 2007 5:36 pm

1st make sure you get a German replacement if you can.

Second if your car is a 74 SB then it has the rounded front glass and a modular dashboard. To remove the speedo first disconnect the battery. Trust me on this you do not want to ground out and burn up any wires on your speedo. You should be able to carefully pry the speedo out from the dash. Some times you have to snake your hand up under the dash and give it a little push as well. Do this all with great care. Once it is out of the dash the unit should have enough slack in the wires to be pulled forward some. If not label the wires and the connections then remove the wires. Then unscrew the speedo cable from the back of the unit. Now go to the front driver side wheel and undo the C clip at the dust cap. Pull the speedo cable out of the spindle. Look under the car where the hose from the gas tank goes to the metal line protruding from the tunnel. Check and make sure that there is enough slack for you to pop the tank up about 3 to 4 inches. If there is not either get a bit of longer line or drain the tank. Next it is time to undo the 4 bolts that hold down the gas tank. It is best to do this with the tank empty or really low so it is light. Pop the tank up a few inches and use a flashlight to observe how the cable snakes through the car. Be sure to follow this rout with the new cable to avoid getting it pinched by the steering gear. Now go to the drivers seat and slowly pull the entire cable out up through the dash. Installation is reverse of removal.

MLTIGGER2 Tue May 29, 2007 6:17 pm

Cool!!! My '74 needs a new cable and was wondering what was invloved
Thanks Man!!!

dandhcomputers Wed May 30, 2007 5:01 am

i have an extra speedo and it has 2 hooks on the back the screws go into
if i pry on the speedo i will damage the dash pag right ????

The Pirate Wed May 30, 2007 8:23 am

Well that depends. Do you have the type of super with the rounded cab forward type front window? Is your dash, the actual physical dash part of the car/ fire wall or can the entire dash be removed? I am not talking about the dash pad here. 74 up supers have the rounded type front glass and the instructions I gave are for this type of car. If yours has flat glass then yours is either an earlier super or a standard beetle. The speedo that you posted the picture of is for early supers or standard beetles. It will not fit 74 up supers. Those tabs are used to bolt the speedo into the dash of early supers and standard beetles.

keifernet Wed May 30, 2007 8:26 am

are you sure you have a super beetle Dan? That "extra" speedo you have is for a regular beetle.