TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Canyon carver?
Boring Baja Tue May 29, 2007 6:56 pm

A long while back I got a baja bug for free. Since then I've been trying to figure out which way I want to go with it. Recently buggies have caught my eye. After taking a ride in a friends Rotary powered Spitfire it got me to wondering how well a street buggy could be made to handle. Oh it'd be sitting on a balljoint/IRS pan with a berrien buggy body. I've researched as much as I could but didn't find a lot on the subject. Thanks for any input.

andk5591 Wed May 30, 2007 3:23 am

It can be made to handle very well. Mine is on a 63 pan. Rear springs are down a couple clicks from stock to help compensate for less body weight (which also helps keep the car lower.)

You need to have a good and tight steering box.

Good shocks and a decent tire set up make a big difference. I am running 205 55 15 and 295 50 15 with KYB G2R in front with KYB Gas Adjust in the rear. Even with a swing rear, the car does very well. If it was IRS, it would be even better.

The one issue that you will always have though is the ass end likes to break loose, which is a prob that Porsche drivers have as well. Takes practice.

Boring Baja Wed May 30, 2007 5:26 am

Sweet, yeah I knew I'd have to learn to deal with the rear sliding out that's just the nature of a rear engine car. So what are you running for a motor in your buggy? I'm running a singleport right now and thinking about staying with it just punch it out a little but keep the cam mild.

andk5591 Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:42 pm

I originally had a stock 1600 dp and did more than I should have with it and cooked it. Got a 1776 with decent heads and dual kads. Lots more fun. Of course it could always use more engine, but its enough for a car that weighs next to nothing. Plus we drive it to work, the store, where ever - just so its not too cold or raining.

Overall, the car is a pretty good match - It'll cruise real nice on the highway at 70, it's a blast on dirt and gravel roads, and its a real ball on windy paved roads. Was pretty lucking finding the right combo pretty early on, but definiately had some help from my buddy Bart Grande. He was able to get the king pin front set up right and suggested the shocks.