TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: please help with the wiring problem
vmx12vmx12vmx12 Wed May 30, 2007 12:54 pm

Number 1 fuse burns seconds after ignition is turned on. I have isolated the problem to the heavy black wire going to the ignition. I really am not very good with wiring...I have schematics and such. So, does this mean that my ignition switch is bad...or can it be a larger problem? So again, when I connect the large black wire that goes directly from number 1 fuse to the ignition (the far right (passenger side) plug in on the steering column) the fuse blows almost immediately. I do assume it's the ignition plug because when it's not plugged in, the car wont start.

My fear is that although I have isolated the wire...the problem might still be anywhere. Thanks

miscreantgnomie Wed May 30, 2007 3:39 pm

it could be grounding out anywhere in the circuit.

common places are at the coil positive side or the one that goes to the carb (yes a power goes to the carb) alot of times that one is touching metal or came off.

i would check back there first though

you could just un hook the one on the coil and carb so they are in the air and replace fuse see if blows fuse if it doesnt know its at one those 2 spots .

if you know how to use a meter you could sove with that.

uberautowerks Wed May 30, 2007 6:23 pm

Fuse #1 is hooked up to...
a - Wiper switch/ motor
b - Hazard switch

Ian Epperson Wed May 30, 2007 7:36 pm

Neither of which would prevent his car from starting. Somethin's not as it seems...

vmx12vmx12vmx12 Wed May 30, 2007 7:46 pm

To my number one, I have wipers, one to the speedo somewhere and one to the far right plug under the column. (ignition one I think). I believe my engine is wired ok....how do I use the volt meter to check it..perhaps I can look for a thread.

vmx12vmx12vmx12 Wed May 30, 2007 7:53 pm

Maybe someone will understand this one. When the heavy black wire at #1 fuse is connected, but with no fuse in it, the car will start and run perfectly. put the fuse in, and it will blow. Disconnect the wire at the fuse block, it there is no power to the ignition switch at all. Question is, if there is no fuse in there, how is the ignition switch (which in my car, the black wire feeding the ignition switch runs from #1 to the switch) getting power?

Sorry for seeming like a simpleton here...just not up on wiring.

Ian Epperson Wed May 30, 2007 8:36 pm

Oh, THAT makes more sense :D

Many of those fuse blocks are also terminals. The power wire comes to side A of a fuse, then side A also has a wire or 3 that drives other equipment (like, maybe the ignition). Side B of that fuse goes on to power other things, like the windshield wipers or emergency flashers. I think you're confusing which side is the feed. Pull the fuse, turn on the ignition and put a voltmeter on either side of the fuse to be sure.

So, I'd bet that you either have a problem with the emergency flasher switch or wiper switch or wiper park circuit.

uberautowerks Wed May 30, 2007 8:45 pm

You have five wires going two fuse one
- a green wire, it heads off to the hazard switch
- two black wires with white stripes, going to the wiper switch and motor
- two black wires, one goes to the speedo warning lights the other goes to the switch (this is the heavy one)
-
The heavy black wire is one of the power wires to the switch, in this case when you twist the key to the start position the switch connects the black wire to a medium red wire which heads of to the push on terminal at the starter.
-First check your connection at the starter, maybe it's come loose and is shorting against something.
-Next, I would disconnect (and tape off) all the wires except the heavy black, twist the key and see. If nothing pops, reconnect one wire at a time.

vmx12vmx12vmx12 Thu May 31, 2007 5:37 am

I like this kind of answer...everything so far makes sense. I will check this on the weekend. If one of the wires on the starter motor is indeed shorting out, then would it prohibit it from starting? Second, the heavy black wire going from the ignition switch to the fuse block, if unfused, how is this all working? And if I pull the wire off the fuse block, then there is no power to the whole car...but the wire is unfused anyway...

I'm sure I will be having an apiffany (however you spell it) soon.

Thanks for you help again. :oops:

vmx12vmx12vmx12 Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:08 pm

Ian, I like your answer....I will see it that way. So the wire coming to the top of the fuse panel (the side higher from the ground) is supplying the lower terminals with power to complete their tasks?