TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Opel GT Tail Lights-What do you think??
surfnc Wed May 30, 2007 3:53 pm

I am thinking of using Opel Gt tail lights on my buggy. They are made by HELLA in Germany. They have a slanted base so the lens should be about horizontal when installed. The turn/brake will have to be mounted upside down to allow the slanted base to sit right. The back-up/reflector has no brake/running light in it. They will look like the back-up/reflector on the 2007 Chevy Impala. Just wanted to get some opinions. THANKS!!

Showing the slanted base.

AJ Quick Wed May 30, 2007 3:58 pm

They look great.. especially if they sit flat like you say when you rotate them.

aquamanx Wed May 30, 2007 5:42 pm

I like em! That's gonna look good once installed.

Oil_Eater Wed May 30, 2007 6:27 pm

They look sweet. There doesn't look like too much room for error with the trim overhang. You may want to buy/borrow a hole saw if you don't own one so you get the hole just the right size.

It's gonna look good when they are installed. :)

Jay

Genom Wed May 30, 2007 6:45 pm

Awesome! Gotta love odd-ball taillights and the Opels certainly fit the bill.

I was going to use the same taillights on my Ocelot but decided to go with '62-67 VW lights because I had 'em already.

surfnc Thu May 31, 2007 4:49 pm

With all the positive response it looks like I will go with the Opel tail lights. I will definitely get the proper size hole saw to cut the holes. Thanks Again! Any more comments are welcome and I will post pics when I install them, hope to get it painted in next week or so. It will be bright yellow like my last buggy with inside sprayed with grey bed liner.

kit.car Thu May 31, 2007 7:37 pm

I used them on my buggy. But I too thought they were GT but have been told they are Opel Manta taillights. The original setup had dual bee hive taillights that left some wide spaced holes. these light fit well to cover the holes. You might find that you will need to add a spacer to compensate for angle of rear deck.

I bought some aluminum tube off ebay and cut some angled spacers to get the "correct" angle for the lights to be a little more bright to drivers behind me. I used a buffer and some compound to get the aluminum to shine like chrome.

I even complicated doing 4 of them in the rear but it was too much work. [I just wanted to get it done!]

AJ Quick Thu May 31, 2007 7:52 pm

That would look really great.

I don't know if they would have to be re-angled. They look like any drivers behind you whould be able to tell, the reflectors wouldn't work very well though.

surfnc Thu May 31, 2007 8:25 pm

kit.car,
You did an awesome job with that aluminum, they look great. You are also right that they are from an Opel Manta, the GT were orange or red solid, but they are the same size. What is the size on that aluminum pipe? Thanks for the pics, they will be very helpful.

kit.car Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:00 pm

Surfnc, I have over 3' left from the 4' piece I used. PM me your addy and I will just send you a 8" peice to play with...

Joe

surfnc Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:56 am

Finished my buggy the other day, here is how the lights look. My body has a wide rear and can handle 4 lights. Most "Manx" clones do not have enough room to do this.

rudedude Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:36 am

the tail lites look really great! instead of a hole saw i found that a dermel tool with 80 grit sanding attachment was the way to make a perfect fit hole. a steady hand, and take your time makes for a clean job. i frenched in my buddys tails, and almost screwed up by not checking the clearance between the carbs and the lite housing! measure twice, cut once.

Zcarnut Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:24 pm

Thats true.I have frenched lights and a 2" body lift.I was surprised how close the fit still was with that PCV in there.