TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anywhere to find how to do technical/service repairs
caseydenise Thu May 31, 2007 7:13 pm

I want to order a book or find a web site with step by step simple repairs like, brakes, wiring, tuning, engine repairs. I would like to more or less teach myself.
Any suggestions??
I posted it here in the FB buggy/manx because everyone is cool here.

Jimmler Thu May 31, 2007 7:30 pm

I'm sure you'll get a ton of replies on this. Currently in my collection, however, is the following in order of usefulness to me:
1) Bentley VW service manual for Type 1. There's a version for early thru '67 and a late for '68 on. I have a copy of both. I somehow snagged a copy of Bentley's for Type 3. Obviously not so useful, but good for reference.
2) How to Rebuild Your VW Engine - Lots of good stuff
3) How to HotRod Your VW - Some good info, but I thought it was terribly dated with no info beyond the late 70's.
4) How To Keep Your VW Alive for the Compleat Idiot - Some good info although use some of John Muir's advice with a grain of salt. Post here first before trying some of his techniques. A great read, tho.
5) Chilton/Clymer - Somewhat useful if you need some quick specs, but essentially a duplication of what's in the Bentley manuals.

I also picked up the dune buggy builder's book that was published in the UK last year. I don't have it handy and the official title escapes me. I found it enjoyable reading. Gives one person's perspective on how he built his buggy. Yours is already built, so may not be so useful.

5150bossman Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:32 pm

Some great places for technical info are web sites like this one, www.dune-buggy.com , www.rbcdunebuggy.org etc.

I have used the Haynes 1954-1978 (I believe those are the dates) VW Beetle/Karmann Ghia repair book (Most local auto parts stores carry it). Lots of pics to help guide you, and step by step instructions. It has helped me do just about everything you could think of on our buggy.

Rbake Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:21 am

http://www.vw-resource.com/mihov_index.html

great site!!