TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ack!! Help!
dixonmanor Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:36 pm

So, while loading a bike into the back of the Thing I managed to rip a small hole in the soft top. Are there any readily available top patch/repair kit things out there? What should I do?

Oh yeah, the top is from the Thing Shop.

bmwloco Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:44 pm

Depending on where you are, you might find a good auto upholstery and convertible top shop.

They can probably set you right... if they're worth there oats.

kubelmann Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:19 pm

There is a product called Marine Goop. It is a contact adhesive and sealant. It dries clear and is highly waterproff. It has been used to repair many small tears and holes in Thing soft tops.

MedicTed Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:59 pm

Anyone have a suggestion to repair the windows. Mine were vandalized over the weekend and now I have a cut in two of them.

kubelmann Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:08 pm

THAT SUCKS!!!! What kind of person would do that. The best short term solution for a cut side curtain is a temporary solution. Purchase the highest quality clear vinyl book repair or shipping tape and carefully clean both sides of the the side curtains (rubbing alchohol) then tape both sides of the damage. This repair will last for a season or two for a daily dirver. It has worked for me when the vinyl gave up on a poor quality replacement. Marine or Auto upholstery shops can put in new vinyl for around $40 a side curtain.

surfarii Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:57 pm

Yea that is a bummer. You can also use a clear vinyl that is used for protecting the tops of skis and snow boards. Any good ski/board pro shop should have it. You can buy it by the foot. Make sure your hands are clinically clean otherwise you will see a lot of fingerprints.I also have used this stuff in areas where I needed a little rock chip protection and between the shell and cab of my pick up.

MedicTed Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:02 pm

Thanks! While I would love to justify buying new openable windows, it's not the right time. You guys have validated my idea.