TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Early turn signal wiring help
Zcarnut Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:18 am

I checked the archives hoping I could find this but couldnt find specific wire colors (OEM).
I have 3 wires coming out of the turn.Its from a mid 60's Bug.All are black with striping on them .But I dont know which is which...Or if I could at least find out which of the 3 is power that would be great.
Thanks!

jspbtown Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:41 am

Do yo have an multi-meter? If so use it to check for continuity between wires. I just did one and I THINK it was the green for the power. Either way, hook uo your leads to two wires and flip the switch in both directions. You will soon figure it out.

Zcarnut Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:36 am

yeah..I havent put a meter to it yet.Dont have the power to the block yet (just trying to wire everything else up first)
I found a wiring diagram on that Type 2 site that may have given me my answer.According to a 65' schematic,these are the colors:

black wire/white stripe (left)
black wire/green stripe (right)
black wire/green and white stripe (power)
And i already have a ground off all the lights so I think im good to go.
Just need to figure out the 3 prong flasher now..
Im not near the car at the moment,but im pretty sure these were the three colors I was faced with.

jspbtown Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:02 am

You don't need power to the wires to test for continuity. Use your ohm meter. Attach one lead to the black/green/white, and another the the black/white. With the switch in the center position the reading should be 1.0. Turn the switch to the left and it should go infinite. Turn to the right, and it should go to 1.0. Then keep the lead on the black/green/white and put the other lead on the black/green. Reading should go infinite when to the right, and 1.0 at center and left. All your doing is checking for continuity, not power.

For the flasher...these diagrams help ALOT:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201836&highlight=wiper+wiring

(Thanks Murzi!)

Zcarnut Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:00 pm

Wow..All of this info does help alot thanks.My internet was down most of the day so unfortunatley I spent a few frustrating hours screwing with making them work.Got alot of neat combinations,but none of them were right!
I really thought this would be easier to wire up.
The color codes I researched for the column seemed to be fine..I had no clue what to do with the flasher though and which prong was for what.
But again..All this info should help.