TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Nice GFK Car on (OldBug.com) Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
vintagevolks Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:05 pm

Very nice car..
http://www.oldbug.com/gfk58.htm

Glenn Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:09 pm

For that price the spare tire area has some wear marks and the engine is not up to the detail of the car.

Nice, but....

NorCalNick Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:40 pm

I never thought John would part with his car.

bmtx Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:21 pm

Anybody know why he went with 5-spokes instead of Fuchs? Always wondered. Thats been a favorite of mine since I first saw it in Trends.

JOHN C. GFK! Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:30 pm

Glenn wrote: For that price the spare tire area has some wear marks and the engine is not up to the detail of the car.

Nice, but....

:fist:

JOHN C. GFK! Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:32 pm

bmtx wrote: Anybody know why he went with 5-spokes instead of Fuchs? Always wondered. Thats been a favorite of mine since I first saw it in Trends.

I'VE ALWAYS LIKED 5 SPOKES.. I'M NOT MUCH OF A FUCH FAN ON MY CARS. I THINK THEY LOOK SWEET ON OTHERS JUST NOT MINE :? ..

P.S. THANKS FOR THE NICE WORDS

Skim Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:09 pm

JOHN C. GFK! wrote: bmtx wrote: Anybody know why he went with 5-spokes instead of Fuchs? Always wondered. Thats been a favorite of mine since I first saw it in Trends.

I'VE ALWAYS LIKED 5 SPOKES.. I'M NOT MUCH OF A FUCH FAN ON MY CARS. I THINK THEY LOOK SWEET ON OTHERS JUST NOT MINE :? ..

I remember a time when I let you roll my chrome earlies on it back in like 98 or so. Theres only a couple pics of it somewhere like that. 8)

alex_juarez Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:11 pm

El carro del Johnny Canales esta chingon culeros :D

JOHN C. GFK! Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:14 pm

Skim wrote: JOHN C. GFK! wrote: bmtx wrote: Anybody know why he went with 5-spokes instead of Fuchs? Always wondered. Thats been a favorite of mine since I first saw it in Trends.

I remember a time when I let you roll my chrome earlies on it back in like 98 or so. Theres only a couple pics of it somewhere like that. 8)

YA REMEMBER THAT, I PUT THEM ON MY OLD BLACK OVAL FOR ONE OF THE JAMBOREES. I PUT 4 4.5'S ON IT ABOUT A YEAR AGO FORM MIKE N, BUT I STILL DIDN'T LIKE THE LOOK...

Skim Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:20 pm

Fool all about them 5 spokes! 8)

classictint Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:56 pm

Johns got a clean car.. wondering what he's replacing it with ? hhmm..

'64cal lookdub Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:59 pm

Glenn wrote: For that price the spare tire area has some wear marks and the engine is not up to the detail of the car.

Nice, but....

25k is a steal IMO for a highly detailed sedan like that.

lonotch Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:41 pm

Sorry to see it go John, hope you have something new to wow us with.

hawynvdub Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:04 am

Nice, but....

:roll: I doubt that anyone could build one like that for the asking price. I don't know too much about the GFK but I know they sure build awesome cars!

Might be another one going to Japan. :cry:

Glenn Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:03 am

JOHN C. GFK! wrote: Glenn wrote: For that price the spare tire area has some wear marks and the engine is not up to the detail of the car.

Nice, but....

:fist:

Nothing personal. I was talking to Carlos last night and I guess that Rich set the bar so high with his 50. Yes I understand that it sold for almost triple, but $25k is a lot of money in my mind for any VW.

The car is gorgeous and there are a ton of rare accessories, but like I said the spare tire area does have some wear and the lower engine and undercarriage are the hardest area to keep immaculate.

As to the $25k price, i know there's no way you could build a car for that kind of money. My 74 has over 300 hours of body and paint alone. At the greatly discounted price of $50/hr in the New York area that's $30k just for body work. I'd be lucky to get $15k for my car, but I have no intention to ever sell it.

And then it doesn't matter what anyone other than the buyer thinks. The market will decide on the value.

It's only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

UZI Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:22 am

that's the car that was in the extremeVWs video where john, chuckD and i got famous. the same video where they didn't feature any one owner fatchick cars with 180hp 1904s.

Glenn Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:36 am

UZI wrote: that's the car that was in the extremeVWs video where john, chuckD and i got famous. the same video where they didn't feature any one owner fatchick cars with 180hp 1904s.

Yeah... whatever.

So what's your point? That my car is not as nice... i concede that, that my car is not as desirable... I concede, that my car is not as valuable... I concede that point also.

Does it change what I saw.... no it doesn't.

I stated what I saw and that i'm swayed by the ultra high detailed cars that are out there like Rich's. The car is what it is... gorgeous, but not perfect.

The fact that my car is not close doesn't change anything.

DBK UK Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:25 am

you could`nt build that car for 25k .....remember you are buying a piece of vw history...GFK is known worldwide and so is john/his car....is the original 1st herbie bug worth what it is?...as a normal bug proberbly not BUT its the history that comes with it that makes it worth what it is...either you get it or you dont....

good luck with the sale, not that you will need it as that car wont hang around long

UZI Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:58 am

Glenn wrote: UZI wrote: that's the car that was in the extremeVWs video where john, chuckD and i got famous. the same video where they didn't feature any one owner fatchick cars with 180hp 1904s.

Yeah... whatever.

So what's your point? That my car is not as nice... i concede that, that my car is not as desirable... I concede, that my car is not as valuable... I concede that point also.

Does it change what I saw.... no it doesn't.

I stated what I saw and that i'm swayed by the ultra high detailed cars that are out there like Rich's. The car is what it is... gorgeous, but not perfect.

The fact that my car is not close doesn't change anything.

like they saying goes, "before you criticize someone elses ride, lemme see yours"

i like a little patina here and there. what can i say. seeing stuff like that that you pointed out tells me more about the car than a detailed out tire well.

Glenn Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:09 am

UZI wrote:
like they saying goes, "before you criticize someone elses ride, lemme see yours"

i like a little patina here and there. what can i say. seeing stuff like that that you pointed out tells me more about the car than a detailed out tire well.

It tells me that he drives it, that it's not a trailer queen.

Your point is well stated.

And you know what I think of the Jurassic, it's a true one of a kind.

Also what you and I think of John's car doesn't matter. The only two that do are John and the new owner.