TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Odd hubcaps Page: 1, 2  Next
templeofspeed Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:48 am

Anyone know who the manufacturer was on these?

They are on a 1963 beetle, there are more pics of the car in my gallery.

53 0val Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:20 am

templeofspeed wrote: Anyone know who the manufacturer was on these?

My believe those were an EMPI accessory.

Richard Roth Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:45 pm

Empi had a similar style, but definitely not those.

L572 Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:03 pm

I saw the same ones in "Ben Hur"..... :lol:

templeofspeed Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:08 pm

Richard Roth wrote: Empi had a similar style, but definitely not those.

I vaguely remember an ad in the back of an old Sports Car Graphic for these, it was not EMPI. I was thinking Competition Chemicals (the old simichrome seller), but I am probably wrong. There was someone at a meet I went to at Holbert's in the late 80's that had three hubcaps and the original ad... and was looking for a fourth. :? sucks to get old... :(

Stock Steve Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:55 pm

Are they different from the ones Eric Meyer has on his Rometsch? I can't tell.

http://www.centralcoastvwclub.com/id73.htm

I always assumed they were Empi...

Richard Roth Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:10 pm

Eric has the genuine EMPI items.

snotchback Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:49 pm

templeofspeed wrote: Anyone know who the manufacturer was on these?

Maybe Porsche Kock-offs :?:

These have more rivets :arrow: http://www.runtrod.com/gallery/v/wheels/wheels5/5_Porsche_Kockoffs1.jpg.html

Richard Roth Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:00 pm

I think they meant "knock-offs".
Anyway the Porsche wheels pictured are "actual" Rudge knock-off wheels.
The items Templeofspeed is inquiring about are "simulated" knock-off "hubcaps".

empiracer Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:03 pm

I think these may be Empi .... ?

snotchback Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:33 am

empiracer wrote: I think these may be Empi .... ?

:arrow: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=264134
Quote: One rare EMPI knockoff on the left is for porsche 356 but have you seen the EMPI knockoff on the right ? it's made for VW ONLY.

:arrow: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=263704
Quote: EMPI Knockoffs

overrestored Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:56 pm

"temple of speed" was correct. There was an ad in an old Sports Car Graphic Magazine for these and several other styles of fake knock offs. They were called "Knok Offs" a purposeful mis-spelling of Knock Off. I may be wrong on the mis-spelling. I have the ad somewhere.

I am not certain of the manufacturer of the versions on my car. I am told that they are Empi. They came off of a special empi accessorized original Ghia that Lenny Copp had for sale 15 years ago. It had lots of factory accessories and Empi accessories all documented on the original bill of sale. Lenny's buyer did not want the Lemmerz chrome rims... the narrow white wall michelins... or these knock offs. So I bought these parts.

I don't have a close up shot of my wheels and hubcaps... but here is a fun shot of the car to compare the hubcaps. The knockoff hubcaps on my car consist of 7 parts on each wheel... a complicated affair.

-the spinner
-the mount which attaches to three of the lug nuts
-the 3 special washers which go between the mount and the lugnuts
-the outer chrome ring
-the inner chrome ring

templeofspeed Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:48 am

The ones I posted the photo of attach using the stock clips. Thanks for confirming my old memories on the "Knok-offs". That Beeskow looks interesting, and the hubcaps seem appropriate. :wink:

-ToS

53 0val Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:02 am

templeofspeed wrote: The ones I posted the photo of attach using the stock clips. Thanks for confirming my old memories on the "Knok-offs". That Beeskow looks interesting, and the hubcaps seem appropriate. :wink:

-ToS

Interesting? Quite the understatement. That car is probably the best example of a Beeskow in the world. :wink:

templeofspeed Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:18 am

53 0val wrote:

Interesting? Quite the understatement. That car is probably the best example of a Beeskow in the world. :wink:

I'll guess there's been some photochopping then..? :lol:

Richard Roth Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:26 am

Mystery solved !
:D

Lids Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:30 am

Anybody got any info regarding these 4 bolt knockoffs?

They attach to the original EMPI spyders using the 4 screws.

Rome Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Can't help on the manufacturer, but I do have a story. In the spring '85 I attended a VW meet in northern Ohio, while I was working at VW of America HQ in Troy, MI. I saw this type of knock-off hubcaps from a swap vendor who was asking $80 for the set of 4. I already had my '64 Ghia which was sitting on a '70 chassis, so I knew those would not work on my 4-bolt wheels. I passed on the deal.

vintage dude Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:26 am

The caps you show are made by Bullock in the late 50's. They were a fake Rudge knockoff and were available for many different makes. The most common were the ones you show (VW / Porche) and Mercedes 190 ad was posted in blog.
I have a partial set and am looking for some. Are you interested in selling what you have? Please contact me if so.
Cheers!

Blue Baron Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:33 pm

The original post was from 2007. Best to pm templeofspeed. He last visited yesterday, so he's still around.