TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Music in my Thing
GA_RR Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:54 pm

Just thought I'd share some pics of my current music set up that I just "finished". I use the word finished loosely as there's still quite a lot to do to make it a finished look, but I was rushing the last couple days to just get things working so I can town the old girl out to the beach this coming week for family vacation.

The boxes were made using fiberglass and bondo. As you can see in the pics, I really need to (and plan to once vacation is over) do some more sanding and bondoing to fill holes. It was my first experience ever using fiberglass & bondo so I'm relatively happy with the results but I know with practice I could do much better. As for the dash, later I plan to pull out that panel and build a new panel that will cover end to end using some 1/2 cedar rather than the 1/8" pine that is holding the CD player right now. Anyhow, on to the pictures....that's what everyone really wants to see anyhow right?

GA_RR Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:03 pm

Here's a few of the in progress pictures. Wish I had a few more but the fiberglass gets everywhere and the wife gets kind of mad when there is resin all over her $500 camera :lol:

miscreantgnomie Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:59 pm

nice job making pods :)

yup tshirt type material some particle board and a boat load of fiber glass does wonders :)

you should just coat the wood panel you made to hold radio and paint that yellow also would like 10000% kooler :0

Thanks for sharing your progress :)

FreakCitySF Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:39 pm

It looks really awesome.

It looks space age! Can you design the next VW Thing?

Fun 181 Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:59 pm

I like how you angled the speakers outward. The small under-dash speakers that face inward always sound muffled. Do they interfere with your (or your passengers) leg room at all?

I also like how you didn't cut any of the car's sheet metal to install the speakers. Well done.

GA_RR Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:09 pm

Fun 181 wrote: I like how you angled the speakers outward. The small under-dash speakers that face inward always sound muffled. Do they interfere with your (or your passengers) leg room at all?

I also like how you didn't cut any of the car's sheet metal to install the speakers. Well done.

They are totally out of the way where they are located. I'm really happy with the sound so far. I was running 70mph today and other than some rattling and squeaking from the car that I'd like to take care of, I could hear the radio fairly well. For $80 speakers, I'm more than happy.

As for the dash, I actually like the wood look so I plan to make a new panel later that will cover from one end of the dash to the other. I'd like to incorporate wood trim throughout the car eventually.....duck boards, console/cup holder, door pocket covers, etc...

90runner Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:20 pm

What size speakers are those? They look about 6" round?

Rev. Scott Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:47 pm

no screws? what does hold those speaker housings in place? ive been thinking of the same project. was your original "form" just blue tape?...looks pretty sweet!!! thanx for sharing and do tell!

GA_RR Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:37 am

90runner wrote: What size speakers are those? They look about 6" round?
They are just standard 6.5" speakers. I got them from crutchfield...they are Polks.

inkwelz wrote: no screws? what does hold those speaker housings in place? ive been thinking of the same project. was your original "form" just blue tape?...looks pretty sweet!!! thanx for sharing and do tell!

The blue tape is quick release tape that I put in place to lay the fiberglass backing in when building the boxes. It's no longer there. It's actually such a tight fit nothing else is required to hold them in place. I did put some industrial strength velcro behind them and later I may put a bracket in so that no one can quickly steal them but for now I'm not worried about it.

nerf965 Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:44 pm

https://www.car-fi.com/thing/thing_main.html

Here is a thing being over hauled for sound

surferdudedav Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:14 pm

nerf965 wrote: https://www.car-fi.com/thing/thing_main.html

wow, preety cool.... not feeling the seats or steering wheel but mad props!

GA_RR Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:29 pm

nerf965 wrote: https://www.car-fi.com/thing/thing_main.html

Got to love the one uppers....guess each time someone posts something on here we should all just show a better example of their work by some professional.

Ian Epperson Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:05 pm

It's a car built for promos - it should look good and have a great stereo.

Looking at what they did, it'll run like crap. After market doghouse - did you notice that it doesn't have the cavity for the oil cooler!?! That engine doesn't have much life left after this.

The cheap coil over shocks - again they look great but don't actually work great.

If you look real close at the above pic, you can see that the bushings are shot (the post on the left is touching the edge of the hole it's protruding through) and it doesn't look like they're going to replace them as it's still like that in the pics with the wheels mounted.

I do like the diamond plate though and this is my favorite shifter. My car's PO had done the same thing to the rocker panels - really sucks and hard to undo.

So, they will succeed in what they are setting out to do, make it look good with a slamming stereo - and nothing much else.