TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1981 VW diesel PU with extended cab
jloughrey Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:47 pm

I have a 1981 VW diesel PU with windows behind the drivers door. the cab is approximately 12" longer than the standard PU. They called this PU model the caddy, I think.

Has anyone else ever seen this model? I am interested in how many were made. VW does not have this information.

My car is from Texas and is in good shape. It is ready for restoration and runs great.

How rare is this truck? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lidpainter Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:51 pm

Is that the Rabbit pickup?

plasticman1432 Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:15 pm

'Caddy' is simply the European moniker for a pickup; Canadian VW dealers referred to them as Caddies too, but we called them 'Rabbit trucks.'

The extended cab version is very rare........VW never made them, in fact. More than likely the corner windows are from a Toyota or Izusu truck, as they were the plentiful donors at the time folks began customizing those trucks. Another popular addition is the 2-door Rabbit doors, which were longer than the factory truck ones(same as the 4-door front doors).

Either way, I'd like to see pics of it.

mike yapps Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:48 pm

Let's see some pics! As already said... VW never made an extra cab caddy back in 81. It's a custom job done by someone. There are a few out there like that done in different ways. Check out http://www.vwcaddyforum.com/ I have an 81 myself.