TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Super Beetle Steering Column in Buggy?
surfnc Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:41 pm

I have searched but did not find what I was looking for. Has anyone used a Super Beetle steering column in a buggy? It would allow a less cluttered dash. If anyone has do you have a wiring diagram of column harness. Thanks in advance!!

Zcarnut Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:46 am

Hey Vince,

I think a Super column will work,but not the shaft itself.I actually have a Super column and I think a shaft at home the P.O. gave me with the buggy.Your welcome to it.If it doesnt work,your not out anything right? :wink:
The P.O. said it was a super column anyway,but I dont recall it looking much different from a 68'-69' era regular Bugs (besides the stalk count of course).
Only thing wrong with it is no keys,so I never pursued using it.
Has a steering lock in it too like all cars nowdays.I kind of like NOT having that in the buggy.

Yellermanx Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:41 am

When I put the body lift on mine I used the lower part of a super column welded to the stock beetle column so I could use the u-joints. It poses a few problems, but the end result works great.

During fitting.

Zcarnut Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:57 am

Did you have to do all that because the gas tank was hitting or somthing?Or that cage it looks like you have (seems like that could interfere)?
I have TONS of clearance between my tank and the steering shaft/steering box.
My steering column angle isnt odd either with the 2 1/2" body lift..(just had to adjust the steering box down some).
Of course now the very bottom the hood is rubbing the steering box...Cant win man! Its always somthing!

Yellermanx Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:17 am

I did it because I wanted to keep the original steering column mounting position/holes in the buggy. I also extended it rearward along with the seats as you can see in this picture. It may not be the best look, but I'm comfortable now. :P This picture was taken during the build. The wires and such are taken care of now.

The cage is a Berrien chassis. It nor the tank was an issue.

Zcarnut Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:33 am

Oh I gotcha.My column and seat position will be comparable to yours (but my seats dont "layback" quite as much.
But I did have to elongate my "firewall" hole and did away with running the column through the hood altogether (cut the "bottom" of the hole out where the steering shaft originally went through.)Along with the aforementioned steering box adjust (The steering wheel stuck up way too high before I did that).
The way the shaft comes through the dash though,you really cant tell that the shaft basically is coming out UNDER the dash slightly.

If I bought a new body,I probably would have gone another route besides cutting too.