TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: trany mounts
phoenixragtop Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:04 pm

what tranny mounts to use on a stock thing only offroad once in a while. i was thinking heavy duty stock vw. i will be using 215 or 205 14 75tires. also what shocks and any other sugestions on setting up the suspension i am doing the ball joints and all bearing and have it all apart

Go-SpeedRacer Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:53 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...highlight=

This topic is on trans, and part way through they talk about mounts, there are several others. You will want to install something to hold that trans in place. Some use straps, some buy special kits, but you will want something, the stock mounts do not handle much abuse. Check the Off-Road Forum, there is a lot of good info over there, but it takes a lot of reading to sift through. Be very careful about asking questions in that forum, they get grouchy over there with the questions like the one that you just asked here.

Shocks, Bilstein & Fox are what most use, KYB gets a lot of bad feedback, but I have never used, so cant say much about them.

Ask K-Man, he will defiantly know what other things to do without going all out.

Good Luck!

Fun 181 Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:12 pm

KYB shocks get bad feedback?

¿por qué?

Ian Epperson Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:51 pm

KYB's have a bad rap in the Off Road forum, and understandably so.

I've heard that KYB's are not a shock to use offroad. They're a fine replacement for stock (road) applications, but don't go doing anything silly with them to keep your happiness intact. :wink:

suntour Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:47 pm

The KYB Gas-a-just shocks are hard as a rock. It makes your ride a bone jarring event when your suspension is lifted. However I do not know if this is the case for the GR-2 shocks.

Ian Epperson Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:09 am

The GR-2's are much softer and have much less spring than the Gas-a-justs. I've a friend who drives a Ghia who pulled the Gas-a-justs off of his and put on GR-2's for a much nicer ride. I played with both sitting on the bench, and you can compress the GR-2's pretty easily by hand, not so with the Gas-a-justs. Generaly speaking, the GR-2's are the ones to go with. If you actually want to go offroading and really really want to get the KYB's (against the general judgement from the offroad crowd) then the Gas-a-justs are for you.

By the way, the "a-just" in Gas-a-just is just marketing hype - you can't actually adjust it. It's simply a stiffer GR-2 with more spring.

Towel Rail Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:28 am

My car has GR-2s, and the ride isn't terrible with correct tire pressures. How do these compare to the OEM shocks? I'm too young to know how a new Thing rode. :D

kubelmann Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:16 am

Go to eshocks.com and search Bilstein for VW Thing. Best prices there.Use Urethane trans mounts. Add a padded trans strap if you plan for much over a stock motor

dan macmillan Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:54 pm

phoenixragtop wrote: what tranny mounts to use on a stock thing only offroad once in a while. i was thinking heavy duty stock vw. i will be using 215 or 205 14 75tires. also what shocks and any other sugestions on setting up the suspension i am doing the ball joints and all bearing and have it all apart

The following are from CIP1.com and they are called
VWC-211-301-263-2 - GENUINE VW - EXTRA H-D - REAR TRANS MOUNT - BEETLE 52-72 / GHIA 56-72 / BUS 50-67 / T3 62-68 - EACH They are about $11.00 ea Canadian. They fit the Thing perfectly but are NOT heavy duty

"

THis is what I have used on my 2 buggies, my Thing and my 2.0 Porsche EFI powered Beetle
They are $10.00 ea Canadian and THEY ARE extra heavy duty. Should the rubber ever separate the encased steel is made to hook onto itself holding the mount together

VWC-113-301-264 - REAR TRANSMISSION MOUNT RIGHT BEETLE 73-79 / GHIA 73-74

VWC-113-301-263-C - REAR TRANSMISSION MOUNT LEFT BEETLE 73-79 / GHIA 73-74

I know they do not list it as a fitting a Thing but they work perfectly

kubelmann Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:41 pm

Just my personal preference but I replace this stuff with urethane and never replace a part again.

Solomon Grundy Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:56 pm

I have used monroe air shocks for over 10 years on my bug and ghia and I love them. Just dropped a set on my 181 and they work great! Only $75 and last longer then stock ones...

Solomon Grundy Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:55 pm

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=20047
I use these.

Fun 181 Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:47 am

Sure wish I knew about the feedback for the KYB gas-a-just shocks 2 weeks ago. I just had them put on to replace the original shocks in the Thing. I have a lot more tire clearance now (which I needed - especially in the front), and the whole car now sits a little higher.

As for the ride, I haven't noticed that it is any harder than before. Cornering seems a little more... comfortable. Since I haven't driven it that much, and have little to compare it to, it's hard to say for now.

I have the urethane tranny mounts installed (as well as the steering coupler). They seem to be holding up well.