TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: re: shift rod coupling
richtrek Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:04 pm

Guys,

My brother was visiting and he said that my stick felt "sloppy." He should me where the shift rod coupler is at and that I should get a new one with the rubber.

He said that if that did not fix the sloppy feel that it could be the stick itself is worn.

Can anyone suggest an online shop to order the coupler for the Thing? I have seen sticks in JC Whitney. Is it the same coupler as on the 1301, or 1302 (trying to be fancy with Beetle and Super Beetle)?

surfarii Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:27 pm

Quote: Guys,

My brother was visiting and he said that my stick felt "sloppy."

Whats your brother doing playing with your stick anyway? :(

Quote: He should me where the shift rod coupler is at and that I should get a new one with the rubber.

Hummmm , no comment

Quote: He said that if that did not fix the sloppy feel that it could be the stick itself is worn.

Worn huh , Im not sure about fixing the sloppy but it sounds like you are using the hell out it. ':shock:'

Sorry I couldn't resist

Ian Epperson Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:55 pm

Likely, your shift rod bushing is worn and needs to be replaced - it's very common. Not an easy task, but apparently will make it shift like new again.

It seems to be rare to have the coupler wear out, and I've never heard of the stick wearing out.

emersonbiggins Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:59 pm

richtrek wrote: Guys,

My brother was visiting and he said that my stick felt "sloppy." He should me where the shift rod coupler is at and that I should get a new one with the rubber.

He said that if that did not fix the sloppy feel that it could be the stick itself is worn.

Can anyone suggest an online shop to order the coupler for the Thing? I have seen sticks in JC Whitney. Is it the same coupler as on the 1301, or 1302 (trying to be fancy with Beetle and Super Beetle)?

Shifter bushing?
Shift rod coupler?

Both can create a "sloppy" stick. You mentioned he showed you where the coupler was at, but under the back seat, under the inspection plate, you can actually "see" the shift rod coupler. From looking at it while moving the shifter, you can see if it is worn enough to need replacing.

The shifter bushing is inside the tunnel about 1" behind the shifter hole.

Things would have to be very loose for a long time to wear out a stick.

richtrek Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:56 pm

We looked under the seat/plate and he said the rubber was worn and that looked be causing some of the sloppiness. He had to replace the rubber in his Super Beetle and he simply replaced the rubber and coupler, hence my looking for both of them.

Would this be the same as on a Bug?

klokard Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:04 pm

Usually the sloppiness is attributed to a worn out shift rod bushing. It is located behind the shifter under the center tunnel. It can be changed with 1 person using a coat hanger to hang the rod as you feed it back through the new bushing. Use lot's of swimming pool seal lube available at your pool supply. It will shift nice when done.

emersonbiggins Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:36 pm

richtrek wrote: We looked under the seat/plate and he said the rubber was worn and that looked be causing some of the sloppiness. He had to replace the rubber in his Super Beetle and he simply replaced the rubber and coupler, hence my looking for both of them.

Would this be the same as on a Bug?
Yes it should be the same as a bug.

You can also check the shifter bushing by removing the shifter. Then use a pair of pliers to grab on to the socket in the tunnel. Move it up and down to see how much play is in it. There shouldn't be any.

If you can see that the rubber coupler is worn, I would still check the bushing to see if it is a combination of both.

Towel Rail Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:35 pm

I've replaced both the coupler and the bushing in my Thing, and it's still a little sloppy. Didn't seem like there was much play in the transmission shaft, so I think it's always going to be sloppier than a modern car.

markie61 Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:47 am

Replaced the shifter, the bushing, the coupler, hockey stick, nosecone bushing, and transmission mounts. Now it shifts like every other ACVW - which is to to say, not very notchy (like a 94 Ford pickup.) I think it is due to the long shift rod design. I will say it is MUCH better shifting than the 82 Renault Le Car I once owned (for five miserable months!)

Mark

c.davis419 Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:15 pm

After replacing the coupler and bushing, I always install a vintage Hurst shifter into every ACVW I own. Not only does it offer a 40% throw reduction, it also gives it the crisp, concise shifting that we have become spoiled by in modern vehicles. I love the trigger lock out for reverse too. (especially when friends or my wife drive my VW's who aren't used to where reverse is)